Help Dwarf gouramis swimming erratically

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just got 2 dwarf gouramis for my 20 gallon tank. They began to swim around really fast after about 10 minutes and they're hitting the gravel and I'm worried they might hurt themselves. they're the only fish in it and I got my water tested at PetSmart right before and they said that the water parameters were all in a good range. The tank temperature is about 76°. Should I be worried?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How long has your tank been set up and is it fully cycled?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you likely have 2 male dwarf gourami. If so, it usually doesn’t go well due to aggression between them.

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dunk2 said:
How long has your tank been set up and is it fully cycled?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you likely have 2 male dwarf gourami. If so, it usually doesn’t go well due to aggression between them.
In the pet store tank they seemed perfectly fine and it was a lot smaller with 3 of them

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gr198868 said:
In the pet store tank they seemed perfectly fine and it was a lot smaller with 3 of them
They typically do look fine in the pet store. Not so much when you get them home.

Is your tank fully cycled?

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dunk2 said:
They typically do look fine in the pet store. Not so much when you get them home.

Is your tank fully cycled?
Yes the tank is fully cycled, is there a reason they're fine in the pet store that I could replicate in my tank

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gr198868 said:
Yes the tank is fully cycled, is there a reason they're fine in the pet store that I could replicate in my tank
I can’t answer that, I just know from personal experience and a fair amount of reading that more than one male dwarf Gourami usually doesn’t end well. Especially in a 20 gallon tank.

Do you know exactly what your water parameters were when tested? I’d suggest you buy the API master test kit so you can test yourself. Until then, I’d also suggest partial water changes often. How often are you doing water changes?

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dunk2 said:
I can’t answer that, I just know from personal experience and a fair amount of reading that more than one male dwarf Gourami usually doesn’t end well. Especially in a 20 gallon tank.

Do you know exactly what your water parameters were when tested? I’d suggest you buy the API master test kit so you can test yourself. Until then, I’d also suggest partial water changes often. How often are you doing water changes?
I do about a 20% water change every week, and no I don't know any of the exact water parameters but they told me that the pH was a bit high but not high enough to harm any fish

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gr198868 said:
I do about a 20% water change every week, and no I don't know any of the exact water parameters but they told me that the pH was a bit high but not high enough to harm any fish
I’d buy the API test kit tomorrow if I was you. I’d also do larger partial water changes.

Keep a very close eye on them and, if necessary, return one of them. That’s what I had to do.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
P.S. You never did say how long your tank has been set up?

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dunk2 said:
P.S. You never did say how long your tank has been set up?
It's been set up for about 3 weeks and I used an established filter to cycle it

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gr198868 said:
Sounds right, but I’m never convinced until I test myself.

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dunk2 said:
Sounds right, but I’m never convinced until I test myself.
So would water quality have to do with them fighting?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gr198868 said:
So would water quality have to do with them fighting?
I’d say no. My water was pristine when I gave up on trying to keep 2. And that was in a 75 gallon tank with many hiding places.

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dunk2 said:
I’d say no. My water was pristine when I gave up on trying to keep 2. And that was in a 75 gallon tank with many hiding places.
Alright thanks for your help

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gr198868 said:
And what did you add to keep the bacteria alive.

Fish in a displaytank will hardly ever show theit natural behaviour. Often the tanks are so crowded that "territorial" behaviour ism't possible. Also the lack.of.plants amd ornaments leave them "disorientated" not able to expose natural.behaviour.

Two DG's in one tank will mean war pretty soon.

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dunk2 said:
Not a problem. Come back here if you can’t figure it out.
They seem
DoubleDutch said:
And what did you add to keep the bacteria alive.

Fish in a displaytank will hardly ever show theit natural behaviour. Often the tanks are so crowded that "territorial" behaviour ism't possible. Also the lack.of.plants amd ornaments leave them "disorientated" not able to expose natural.behaviour.

Two DG's in one tank will mean war pretty soon.
I used API bacteria starter along with the established filter, and I continue to use it with every water change, they seem to not care much about eachother anymore and don't chase eachother around although one of them seems to swim in little jerks sometimes like it's trying to shake something off

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gr198868 said:
They seem

I used API bacteria starter along with the established filter, and I continue to use it with every water change, they seem to not care much about eachother anymore and don't chase eachother around although one of them seems to swim in little jerks sometimes like it's trying to shake something off
I think DoubleDutch is asking what your ammonia source was before you added fish to keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

OP
Gr198868

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dunk2 said:
I think DoubleDutch is asking what your ammonia source was before you added fish to keep the beneficial bacteria alive.
I didn't have an ammonia source, I didn't realize that it was necessary

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gr198868 said:
I didn't have an ammonia source, I didn't realize that it was necessary
So you don’t know what the nitrogen cycle is (your profile says you do)?

I’ll go back to my original suggestion that you get a test kit and add that you should learn about the nitrogen cycle if you don’t already know how it works.

New Threads