Dwarf Gouramis Question?

Gabriel-CR

Valued Member
Reaction score
someone with experience with dwarf gouramis who can help me? I currently have a 40 gallon fish tank, in it I have a pair of dwarf guramis (colisa lalia) I have some pieces of 2-inch pvc pipe, and I wanted to know if I can have more females of this gourami or do I have to separate them? thank you!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe females are fine with more than one, but males can be particularly aggressive, especially after there are eggs he will defend nest from even the mother.

Gabriel-CR

Valued Member
Reaction score
I believe females are fine with more than one, but males can be particularly aggressive, especially after there are eggs he will defend nest from even the mother.
Right now I have only one male and one adult female both, my idea is to have a male and several females, they have almost 1 year together and have never made a nest, I think it is because the temperature is very low currently they are at 74 degrees, Do you think I can put more females?

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would think you possibly can, but it may also be a good idea to have another tank set up just in case it doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Gabriel-CR

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would think you possibly can, but it may also be a good idea to have another tank set up just in case it doesn't work out for whatever reason.
ok look what i will do! I'm going to try the 40 gallon fish tank, with one male and how many females do you recommend? and if something goes wrong I take the male out and put it in a fish tank alone, how many gallons is the minimum for the male alone? many thanks

Elbe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Male alone I’d say 10 gallons realistically. As for breeding them, the surface needs to be very still and that’s where the bubble nest will be made and if the water has a strong ripple he won’t even bother.

Gabriel-CR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Male alone I’d say 10 gallons realistically. As for breeding them, the surface needs to be very still and that’s where the bubble nest will be made and if the water has a strong ripple he won’t even bother.
yes, it currently has a sponge filter that moves the surface a lot, that's why they don't reproduce! but do you think it's a good idea to have several females and one male together?

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on the stock of your tank currently, what else is in there? Given that they still could be territorial, id go around 3 or 4 females i think, no less than 3.

Gabriel-CR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Depends on the stock of your tank currently, what else is in there? Given that they still could be territorial, id go around 3 or 4 females i think, no less than 3.
Right now the tank only has the gouramis couple, so then I will try to find 3 females to have 4 females and one male! would it be ok like that? I make 2 changes of 50% weekly

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You have a 40 gal right? If the minimum is ten gallons then maybe it would be safe to have three females and one male at ten gallons per fish, with a lot of plants and hides to break line of sight. That's what I'd do anyway.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom