Dwarf Gouramis, Never Again. Rip

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ComradeM, Apr 21, 2018.

1. ComradeMValued MemberMember

I had the most lovely DG, and this morning, I found him laying on the bottom of the tank, struggling to breathe. I will shortly put him out of his misery. He was failing, I tried different things, but I think he has that disease, irdovirus. I’m so . He was my favorite. Little dude would commically spit water on me. He’s quarantined now. Any last ditch efforts? I’m open to advice.

2. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Are you sure it's iridovirus though? Red sores, bloating, dull color?

If it really is, nothing can be done. Sorry mate:(

3. OP
    OP
    C

ComradeMValued MemberMember

Yeah, I know. It really sucks euthanizing a fish. I’m a bit of a baby, even though I’m a grown woman. I hit a squirrel with my car once. Tears for hours. Lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  4. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Losing your favorite fish can be terrible. I hope someone can help you and he'll pull through.

5. OP
    OP
    C

It’s gotta be. I tried everything. I’m not going to let Swimmy Timmy suffer, but does it ever suck. I wish they would fix the inbreeding problem

Thanks! My cat seems to be picking up on my vibes, and my guy is being supportive

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  6. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Awww... My profile pic was my favorite fish and losing him almost made me give up on the hobby. My friends made fun of me for being that sad over a $2 fish, but he was my little buddy :(

7. Iridium_2256

I can understand that. I cried for about an hour when my koi angelfish died, then my marble died and i cried more.
    But you shouldnt give up on dwarf gouramis. They are beautiful and active fish. Dont ever let something take your joy away from you.

8. OP
    OP
    C

Aww. I’m so sorry. Friends can be jerks. I’ve been made fun of for my general obsession with animals. If I could own a zoo, I would. Your fish was pretty

9. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

How long did you have him before this occurred? I've had mine for a month or so, I don't know how long until I'm confirmed in the clear that he won't contract iridiovirus.

10. OP
    OP
    C

I only had him for 2 months

11. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Did he show any signs of illness during those two months or was his death quite sudden? :(

12. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

I've already that I will be taking the day off when Jupiter dies. He’s 10 years old this spring. Goldfish has been through just about every one of my stupid mistakes.

13. Alex Pasquale

Alex PasqualeValued MemberMember

Try giving him a Epsom Salt bath for about 15 minutes or so, then make sure you quarantine him or keep him quarantined, you could also try some fizz tabs to rid of any parasites or diseases. Epsom salt first though, it may just be a SBD.

14. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

I have the same thing happened to me. Only had my guy for 2 months or less. Started with one red lesion I thought he got into a fight or something, never healed then few weeks after. I noticed a small bump on the tail part, after 2-3 days that bump became a lesion, another appeared and that became a lesion too. Then he started becoming less active, and next day he was bloated, I was getting me and my wife ready told er about the virus and she cried a lot! that night he was just staying on top gasping air a lot than normal then we checked 30mins after he's just dropped on a corner and passed away. Happy and sad at the same time. Happy that he didn't suffer for very long, sad because he's also a favorite fish of ours.

15. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Read the diseaseforum right now : DG DG DG.

It is sooooo terrible what we humans did to this awesome fish.

16. OP
    OP
    C

His death was sudden. He was stomping around the tank until a week ago

17. Iridium_2256

Dwarf Gouramis are probrably one of the most abused fish in the aqurium hobby as well as goldfish and bettas. People will inbreed the out of them just to make a quick buck. You have to know who you're buying from. Ask your LFS who they stock them from and do some research on them.

18. OP
    OP
    C

Oh, I know. It’s truly horrible. I love them so much, and my excuse is that he looked so healthy. I keep looking for a reputable breeder, but no luck. I also rescued a Betta. He’s in a different tank, of course, a nice 7 gallon with barely any filter current. I would never stick a fish in a bowl, especially with what I know about goldfish. I really wish they’d stop breeding the heck out of the gouramis. I’d love some dwarf rams, but I heard the same issues apply to them- they’re getting sick due to over breeding. Ugh

19. fishbro

fishbroNew MemberMember

Sorry for your loss :( Sounds similar to my situation now which appears to have worsened today. I was hoping it wasn't DGD but after reading this I'm afraid it might be... Poor little guys don't stand a chance with all the inbreeding.

20. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Check out my thread about the DGD, its everywhere and has no cure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice