Dwarf Gouramis, Never Again. Rip

ComradeM

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had the most lovely DG, and this morning, I found him laying on the bottom of the tank, struggling to breathe. I will shortly put him out of his misery. He was failing, I tried different things, but I think he has that disease, irdovirus. I’m so ****. He was my favorite. Little dude would commically spit water on me. He’s quarantined now. Any last ditch efforts? I’m open to advice.

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you sure it's iridovirus though? Red sores, bloating, dull color?

If it really is, nothing can be done. Sorry mate

ComradeM

Valued Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I know. It really sucks euthanizing a fish. I’m a bit of a baby, even though I’m a grown woman. I hit a squirrel with my car once. Tears for hours. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Losing your favorite fish can be terrible. I hope someone can help you and he'll pull through.

ComradeM

Valued Member
Reaction score
It’s gotta be. I tried everything. I’m not going to let Swimmy Timmy suffer, but does it ever suck. I wish they would fix the inbreeding problem

Losing your favorite fish can be terrible. I hope someone can help you and he'll pull through.
Thanks! My cat seems to be picking up on my vibes, and my guy is being supportive

Last edited by a moderator:

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awww... My profile pic was my favorite fish and losing him almost made me give up on the hobby. My friends made fun of me for being that sad over a $2 fish, but he was my little buddy

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awww... My profile pic was my favorite fish and losing him almost made me give up on the hobby. My friends made fun of me for being that sad over a $2 fish, but he was my little buddy
I can understand that. I cried for about an hour when my koi angelfish died, then my marble died and i cried more.
But you shouldnt give up on dwarf gouramis. They are beautiful and active fish. Dont ever let something take your joy away from you.

ComradeM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Aww. I’m so sorry. Friends can be jerks. I’ve been made fun of for my general obsession with animals. If I could own a zoo, I would. Your fish was pretty

tum0r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How long did you have him before this occurred? I've had mine for a month or so, I don't know how long until I'm confirmed in the clear that he won't contract iridiovirus.

ComradeM

Valued Member
Reaction score
How long did you have him before this occurred? I've had mine for a month or so, I don't know how long until I'm confirmed in the clear that he won't contract iridiovirus.
I only had him for 2 months

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've already that I will be taking the day off when Jupiter dies. He’s 10 years old this spring. Goldfish has been through just about every one of my stupid mistakes.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the same thing happened to me. Only had my guy for 2 months or less. Started with one red lesion I thought he got into a fight or something, never healed then few weeks after. I noticed a small bump on the tail part, after 2-3 days that bump became a lesion, another appeared and that became a lesion too. Then he started becoming less active, and next day he was bloated, I was getting me and my wife ready told er about the virus and she cried a lot! that night he was just staying on top gasping air a lot than normal then we checked 30mins after he's just dropped on a corner and passed away. Happy and sad at the same time. Happy that he didn't suffer for very long, sad because he's also a favorite fish of ours.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Read the diseaseforum right now : DG DG DG.

It is sooooo terrible what we humans did to this awesome fish.

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dwarf Gouramis are probrably one of the most abused fish in the aqurium hobby as well as goldfish and bettas. People will inbreed the **** out of them just to make a quick buck. You have to know who you're buying from. Ask your LFS who they stock them from and do some research on them.

ComradeM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dwarf Gouramis are probrably one of the most abused fish in the aqurium hobby as well as goldfish and bettas. People will inbreed the out of them just to make a quick buck. You have to know who you're buying from. Ask your LFS who they stock them from and do some research on them.
Oh, I know. It’s truly horrible. I love them so much, and my excuse is that he looked so healthy. I keep looking for a reputable breeder, but no luck. I also rescued a Betta. He’s in a different tank, of course, a nice 7 gallon with barely any filter current. I would never stick a fish in a bowl, especially with what I know about goldfish. I really wish they’d stop breeding the heck out of the gouramis. I’d love some dwarf rams, but I heard the same issues apply to them- they’re getting sick due to over breeding. Ugh

fishbro

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Sounds similar to my situation now which appears to have worsened today. I was hoping it wasn't DGD but after reading this I'm afraid it might be... Poor little guys don't stand a chance with all the inbreeding.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom