dwarf gouramis keep on fightin?how t tell which one is male and which is female? Help

1. leopold97 Initiate Member

Hello friends, i recently bought two neon dwarf gouramis but i have to keep them both in separate tanks as they keep on fighting and biting and tearing each others fins. I am not sure of their gender and would like to know how to make out what sex they are.they are both a little bit more than an inch long.

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The way you can tell is that males are more brightly colored, thus that is why they are always sold.
    They are probably both males. They will fight, unless you have a fish that can control their temper.

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes, I tried keeping the same kind of Gourami, though they called it a Dwarf Flame Gourami, in my 30 gallon. Got 3 of them and even with the cover of plants he still seeked out the other 2 Gouramis and harassed them relentlessly until I returned the other two.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

My gouramis don't fight too aggressively, there are so many males that they get confused.

5. leopold97 Initiate Member

Yeah i think both are males then ...they hav really bright colors!

6. leopold97 Initiate Member

I have kept one of them in a 18 gal tank with 6 zebras and a molly in a heated well planted tank and the other in a 50 gal tank with a big pleco and a few zebras and bala sharks.

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Gouramis are wonderful fish, but it would benefit you and the fish to treat them like bettas. In fact, they are both a type of labyrinth fish and both are extremely irritated by flashy colors (at least the males are). Typically, only males are sold in stores, as they are flashier. The overstocked tanks tend to reduce aggression, although I still see gouramis picking on each other in store tanks.

How large is your tank? Is it planted? If it is under thirty gallons without adequate hiding places, I would strongly recommend you return or rehouse one of the gouramis.

Note: They will not only become irritated with other flashy males of the same species, but will also go after other fish with long, flowing, colorful fins, like guppies.

8. leopold97 Initiate Member

tysm phishpin.i completely agree with you! well, one of the tanks is well planted and is 20 gallons with 6 zebras and one male molly along with the gourami.the other one...not so well planted and is 50 gallons with bala sharks and pleco along with the gouramis (the sharks are small)

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Problem with neons is that, in contrary to the other ones, males AND females are blue, so verrrrrry hard to sex. Even the sexing by fin-shape is hard.
    The shown behaviour indeed shows that these are two males.

10. celizabethh3 Member Member

I have a neon in my 36 gallon and he is by far the most peaceful fish in the tank. Mind you, he isn't with another gourami so maybe that's why. I hope they start getting along. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

And maybe it's a female !!

12. celizabethh3 Member Member

I did post a thread on here to sex him and consensus says male so I'm going with that. :) I won't be adding another gourami regardless and he gets along with everyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

As said : Neons are most difficult to sex (color, fins and shape). Noticed lot of members sex them on color : that counts for all colorvariaties but not for neons !!! But you're right : if it's friendly don't add another !!!! Just to be safe !!