Dwarf Gouramis, Fancy Goldfish, or Guppies? 20 Gallon Tank 

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
as some of you guys know, i've been fish-sitting for my uncle, and he is taking his fish back in a couple of days. the only problem im having, is what should i do with it once its empty?? i was thinking planted with a pair (or a single male. not sure yet) of Dwarf Gouramis. i was also thinking about putting the Guppies back in there (they were kicked out into the 10 gallon when i got my uncles fish T_T), or getting a single Fancy Goldfish (if there is a smaller breed. i dont really want to put one in there that gets like 8+ inches, nor would that be very nice to the Goldie >.<). any ideas? i just cant decide, and i've had WEEKS to figure it out.... lol

mktany

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Neon tetras are very cool to look at and dalmatian mollies are just interesting. Really any tetra is cool looking. Gouramis have always been a wild card for me, I've always had one that is just mean to all the fish and eats them up and won't let anyone swim around. If you could upgrade the tank I would suggest tiger barbs, they are the most hilarious fish I have ever seen. I always take forever to decide what fish I want, I'm always at my local LFS (I have 4 great stores with different selections) and I'm sure they think I'm a crazy fish lady.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With 20 gallon tank you can go with a bigger type of gourami then dwarf who have a specific disease that they are prone to. Many other larger and nicer looking gourami out there that would be ok in 20 gallon. I could be mistaken but a 20 gallon should be ok with a pair of gourami and some schooling fish.

For goldfish it would be 1 and they will still grow big and 20 gallon is considered a minimum because of there large max size. A bigger tank is better and it will look kind of empty when they are small.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mktany said:
Neon tetras are very cool to look at and dalmatian mollies are just interesting. Really any tetra is cool looking. Gouramis have always been a wild card for me, I've always had one that is just mean to all the fish and eats them up and won't let anyone swim around. If you could upgrade the tank I would suggest tiger barbs, they are the most hilarious fish I have ever seen. I always take forever to decide what fish I want, I'm always at my local LFS (I have 4 great stores with different selections) and I'm sure they think I'm a crazy fish lady.
right now i have 3 Bloodfin Tetras. im debating on wheather or not im keeping them when my uncle gets his fish. it kinda depends on what i put in there if i keep them, i guess. i've been eyeing up DGs for a while, and have finally found a local store the doesnt suck, and takes care of their fish, butim not sure if they have any. they have some other nice gouramis tho, like Platinums and Giants (i know, i know. no Giants in 20 gallon lol). im not really into Barbs, tho i will admit, the Tigers are growing on me a bit >.< i kinda wunna stick with what i got in the 1st post tho, but i am up for suggestions =)

trailblazer295 said:
With 20 gallon tank you can go with a bigger type of gourami then dwarf who have a specific disease that they are prone to. Many other larger and nicer looking gourami out there that would be ok in 20 gallon. I could be mistaken but a 20 gallon should be ok with a pair of gourami and some schooling fish.

For goldfish it would be 1 and they will still grow big and 20 gallon is considered a minimum because of there large max size. A bigger tank is better and it will look kind of empty when they are small.
i know, i just really like DGs. they're so cute! i know Honey's are simular in size, but they dont have nice colors like traditional DGs have. i have a Blue female right now, but she's my uncles so she's going back to him. i wouldnt really wunna have a pair of anything bigger than DGs because most of the other gouramis like 30 gallons. i would do a single tho, if i fell in love with one XP i wouldnt mind a single Goldfish, even when it was small. i just dont want a bigger version of a fish bowl going on and stunt poor things growth, so thats why i asked.

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you keep the bloodfins like all tetras they prefer larger groups so another 3 at least is required. I just mention the DG problem as many people have had issues with them more the males then the females. Personally the dwarfs are a bit plain in colour compared to the others I've seen blue and pearl come to mind.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats yay MTS!

If it were me I would do a centerpiece fish like a Pearl gourami. A school or two of something for the middle and a small school of cories.

Maybe like:
1xPearl Gourami
5xPanda Cories

Then either one with 20 or 2 schools of 10 each of any 2 of the following:
Glo Lite Tetras
Neon Tetras
Black Neon Tetras
Cardinal Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Black Harlequins

2 schools may be a bit much for the Pearl so I might just opt for a school of 20 of one of those. What do ya think?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
trailblazer295 said:
If you keep the bloodfins like all tetras they prefer larger groups so another 3 at least is required. I just mention the DG problem as many people have had issues with them more the males then the females. Personally the dwarfs are a bit plain in colour compared to the others I've seen blue and pearl come to mind.
i know. i was planing on getting 4 more (1 extra, just in case one dies like last time) but my tank was (and is....) waaay to over stocked for me to feel good about putting any more fish in, even with huge water changes every week. i saw one kind of normal sized Gourami that had simular coloration to Honey's, but the bottom edge of its analfin was bright red and it had some other red and blue markings on it. any one know what that one is? i really liked it, but i dont know what gender it was, or what breed.

blkdeath75 said:
Congrats yay MTS!

If it were me I would do a centerpiece fish like a Pearl gourami. A school or two of something for the middle and a small school of cories.

Maybe like:
1xPearl Gourami
5xPanda Cories

Then either one with 20 or 2 schools of 10 each of any 2 of the following:
Glo Lite Tetras
Neon Tetras
Black Neon Tetras
Cardinal Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Black Harlequins

2 schools may be a bit much for the Pearl so I might just opt for a school of 20 of one of those. What do ya think?
yay MTS!!!!

thats actually very simular to my original stocking list! XD i was thinking DG, 3-5 Panda Corries, and a school of Bloodfins, and very heavily planted. not sure about the planted any more, but its still a possability.

i cant find any Pearls here, and i dont really like the looks of them. im also not a fan of Rasboras or Harlequins (im picky, i know! sorry!!). i like my Bloodfins, so i would like to get a few more, if i keep them

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd say 1 school that's a bit larger will look nicer then 2 smaller schools. It's personal opinion but common it just seems to look odd with 2 schools to me. It is what you want to look at in the end.

But adding fish for top, middle, bottom will fill the tank out more and utilize the whole space and more activity.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im kinda leaning toward a pair of gouramis, bit i feel bad about having the guppies in the 10 gallon when they used to live in the 20. i dunno lol.... what do you guys think?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so i got some new fish today. i had to take my uncle's fish back over to him, so all i had in the 20 long were 3 Bloodfin Tetras. he took me over to a LFS (even tho i told him not to lol) and i ended up getting a pair of Opaline Gourami's. they are about 3 inches long and very cute. the female has better colors then the male, but i think that will change as he grows. i think im gunna rehome the Bloodfins, but im not sure yet.... what do you guys think? i really like them, but i dont want any possible gourami fry eaten (not that im gunna try to breed, but it can happen).

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
congrats on the new fish!
I don't think the gouramis are too likely to breed unless you are trying to and give them special conditions (not sure tho) so I would say keep the bloodfins and add like three more to up the school then get some cories for the bottom
lol I think this is what I suggested a while ago, all well if it was good then, its good now right ;D

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NMfishman said:
congrats on the new fish!
I don't think the gouramis are too likely to breed unless you are trying to and give them special conditions (not sure tho) so I would say keep the bloodfins and add like three more to up the school then get some cories for the bottom
lol I think this is what I suggested a while ago, all well if it was good then, its good now right ;D
yeah i didnt think they would, but stuff happens >.< the only thing in worries about now is that the Bloodfins will get picked on when the Opalines grow up =( we'll just have to see how that goes and decide from there

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads