Dwarf gouramis and sharks?

Valchitsa

I was wondering if a red tailed shark can get along with 1 or 2 dwarf gouramis in a 29 gallon tank. Also I need to know if tiger barbs would bother the dgs. I'm kinda new at this, I haven't had fish since I was in my early teens so I need a bit of a refresher.

The tank is almost done cycling and should be ready but next week. My plan is to get 1 red tailed shark (or is a rainbow better?), a school of tiger barbs (about 4-6), the gouramis and a pleco that only gets to 5" (forgot what kind though).

I'm just worried that I'm gonna overstock it or someone is going to try to kill someone else. And sadly I can't ask anyone at the pet store since the only one near me is a petsmart. I still can't find a lfs.

But any advice or help would be great. I just want to make sure that I make the best home possible for these little guys.

sasm3

no tigers with dwarfs. horrible idea. there really is no good combination of what you like. sorry

Amanda

red tails tend to get large, 6 inches I think. And tiger barbs may nip at the fins of the gouramis. Also, there is a virus going through dwarf gouramis right now. I was advised not to get any at the moment.

Valchitsa

So... is there anything else I can put with the tigers, rainbow and pleco... or is that a bad idea too? i'm willing to get something else but the rainbow is a must, he's the center piece of the tank. I just need to figure out the school and the random filler fish.

Are there any other schooling fish that won't be picked on by the rainbow but won't be picking on gouramis? And what disease is going through the dwarfs right now? I haven't heard anything.

Barbrella

IF you have 6 Tiger barbs - and you need at least 6 to try and avert aggression - one shark, and a pleco (I think you mean a Bristlenose), your tank will be fully stocked. All these fish will probably be very small when you buy them, but the Tigers grow to 3", the shark to 6" and the BN to around 5" = 29" of fish total!

If you want some variety, you could get 3 Green or Albino tiger barbs, and 3 regular colour.

You must put driftwood in the tank for the pleco to munch on and to hide in, and give the shark some sort of cave at one end of the tank.

Strongly agree with no Dwarf gouramis with Tigers.

Valchitsa

Thanks Barbrella for the info. I was counting on the measurements that the store gave me. They said that rainbows only get to 4" and the barbs to 2"-2.5" so I thought I had some room left over. stupid petsmart giving me false information. Oh well. And sadly they only have the regular barbs and the albinos which just blend in with the natural gravel I already have in the tank. Don't know where to get the greens. Are there any other small schooling fish that won't be a problem with the rainbow?

Oh and the pleco is a rubber lip.

Barbrella

When considering adult size, it's always better to overestimate so you won't end up overcrowded.

If you want small schooling fish that will be okay with the shark, you could probably get a sizeable school (at least 8) of Serpae or Black skirt tetras. Both can grow over 2" and are usually pretty nippy and fast so should be okay with a shark.

Red Serpae tetras are very attractive!

joy613

The rubberlip pleco gets about 6 inches long. My local mom and pop stores have green barbs I keep thinking I want to do an Asian tank with them, if I only had the room for another 30 to 40 gallon tank. That would be my choice for the tank along with a gouramis and a few khulI loach and perhaps a SAE. I always understock my tanks it just makes them easier for me and less stress on the fish. Less stress means less chance of disease!

Top Bottom