Dwarf gourami

1. CoyThrasher Initiate Member

My 3 dwarf gourami are all making bubble nests and I have no clue if any are male or female I don't really know how to take care if baby fish and I just got them 4 days ago so what should I do

2. Zed Initiate Member

Males are usually much more colorful, whereas females are dull and grayish. males are also more common in fish stores. The fish in your profile picture looks like a female. males usually make the bubble nests, so if ALL are making bubble nests then I'm not sure. The bad news is that you'll probably need a second tank if you decide to raise the fry, the good news is that the female might eat the eggs or fry if you leave her in the tank with them. If you want the fry, you'll have to feed them liquid food 4-5 times a day until they're big enough for brine. You can always destroy the nest, but thats not cool, however not everyone can care for fry especially if you end up with a few hundred of em :/ good luck to you and keep us posted.

3. CoyThrasher Initiate Member

Sweet yea when I got them the lady said they were all males so I figured I was good there but yea I'm really new to this and I'm not ready to handle babies yet haha

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Multiple males will mean war in your tank.
    Think you've to place some pics to ID.

5. CoyThrasher Initiate Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

These are the other two and they only fought for a day when I first purchased them and it was maybe for a min then they all swam together and always pretty close in the tank

6. Zed Initiate Member

At second glance, your pet store is right, you've got three males. Females tend to have rounded dorsal fins, yet all of your fish have pointy ones; the color threw me off. yay ^_^

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to say, but te LFS shouldn't have sold you three of these guys.
    I'd return three cause otherwise you'll end up killing each other.

Off topic : the plant in the pic is a Dracaena and not a real aquatic one !!!

8. Zed Initiate Member

DoubleDutch I have a friend who's had 4 dwarf gouramis for 6 years, they bicker and pick on each other, but find piece most of the time. Just give them hiding spots/ places where they can break their line of sight and they'll be fine if you like these fish.

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Are they real DG's? And what is his and your tanksize ?

I am on several international forums for years now and in almost all cases of multiple DG-males they'll sooner or later (often in matingmood like this one) ended up in damaged / killed fish.
    Hoping I am wrong though.

10. CoyThrasher Initiate Member

I have a 20 gallon

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Oh sorry, didn't notice Zed wasn't the OP ! That's why I asked the size of his tank instead of yours.

I'd still say it is to small (by far) to keep three male DG's in and it will end up in "disaster". Sorry Coy.

12. CoyThrasher Initiate Member

It's fine I am going to reset the tank and fund then a good home with a buddy of mine who has a large tank