Question Dwarf Gourami... would it eat Ghosts?

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm planning out a community tank and I think I'm getting more or less an idea for what all I want in it and I think I'm starting to develop a theoretical understanding of what *should* be good to keep with shrimp but for this case I feel I have to ask.
I've got a H: 20" L: 48" W: 12" 55g tank and intend on moderate plant cover and lava rocks.

From what I've pieced together so far about shrimp co-habitability is that if a fish can either pick it apart or fit it into its mouth than the shrimp is most likely going to be viewed as prey to the fish. So already the Gourami is looking a bit large to keep with shrimp... not entirely sure if it would though given they tend to stay near the top of the tank if I am not mistaken.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Perhaps babies, or very small adults, but mine is in with ghost shrimp and not bothered. The smallest adult shrimp i have is just barely an inch. His mouth is quite small compared to his size as well

Adult shrimp should be fine in most cases.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm planning out a community tank and I think I'm getting more or less an idea for what all I want in it and I think I'm starting to develop a theoretical understanding of what *should* be good to keep with shrimp but for this case I feel I have to ask.
I've got a H: 20" L: 48" W: 12" 55g tank and intend on moderate plant cover and lava rocks.

From what I've pieced together so far about shrimp co-habitability is that if a fish can either pick it apart or fit it into its mouth than the shrimp is most likely going to be viewed as prey to the fish. So already the Gourami is looking a bit large to keep with shrimp... not entirely sure if it would though given they tend to stay near the top of the tank if I am not mistaken.
I wouldn't risk it, especially if you're basing it on the DG 'staying on top'. Mine doesn't, he likes to hunt around the substrate for leftover food. He only surfaces to take a gulp of air or occasionally pick around the frogbit. I daresay my DG is even more bottom dwelling than my cories lol. Amanos, he couldn't care less, those things are almost as big as he is, but cherry shrimp he'll hunt. If they can't fit in his mouth, he'll peck at them till they fall apart. Brutal little bugger. ghosts are cherry shrimp-size aren't they? But I've heard other people managed them to cohabit, i don't know. You can try...Ghosts are sold as feeders here anyway, so if the experiment fails, the DG will just have had a special treat..

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
then it might just work. I've never tried ghosts due to previous cherry shrimp trauma. I might review that option..

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't risk it, especially if you're basing it on the DG 'staying on top'. Mine doesn't, he likes to hunt around the substrate for leftover food. He only surfaces to take a gulp of air or occasionally pick around the frogbit. I daresay my DG is even more bottom dwelling than my cories lol. Amanos, he couldn't care less, those things are almost as big as he is, but cherry shrimp he'll hunt. If they can't fit in his mouth, he'll peck at them till they fall apart. Brutal little bugger. ghosts are cherry shrimp-size aren't they? But I've heard other people managed them to cohabit, i don't know. You can try...Ghosts are sold as feeders here anyway, so if the experiment fails, the DG will just have had a special treat..
Alright, thank you. I'm intending on a shrimp colony so I'm trying to keep my fish selection to fish that shouldn't hunt them. I intend to start with Ghosts because they're suppose to be hearty and are only 20 cents a shrimp at my lfs... but if it doesn't turn to total failure I'd try others. Would Amano Shrimp be good starter shrimp?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright, thank you. I'm intending on a shrimp colony so I'm trying to keep my fish selection to fish that shouldn't hunt them. I intend to start with Ghosts because they're suppose to be hearty and are only 20 cents a shrimp at my lfs... but if it doesn't turn to total failure I'd try others. Would Amano Shrimp be good starter shrimp?
I think Amano's will be fine, i've kept them with my DG for a while as well as Cherries. I wouldn't say they're difficult and they won't spawn in freshwater.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love Amanos. but you can't start a colony with them simply because they don't reproduce in freshwater. And even if you had brackish water, you'll need gradients of saltwater to raise the shrimplets as they develop.
TLDR; amanos don't multiply. but they're easy to care for..

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love Amanos. but you can't start a colony with them simply because they don't reproduce in freshwater. And even if you had brackish water, you'll need gradients of saltwater to raise the shrimplets as they develop.
TLDR; amanos don't multiply. but they're easy to care for..
Yeah, remembered that shortly after posting. Shrimp really are fascinating little inverts. It's turning into somewhat of a puzzle to have a colony of shrimp and have fish... might go with just having non-multiplying shrimp. Might have to make a new thread asking if there's larger, easy to care for, freshwater shrimp that breed in freshwater.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, remembered that shortly after posting. Shrimp really are fascinating little inverts. It's turning into somewhat of a puzzle to have a colony of shrimp and have fish... might go with just having non-multiplying shrimp. Might have to make a new thread asking if there's larger, easy to care for, freshwater shrimp that breed in freshwater.
Do that - I'll watch the thread. I also want a non-crayfish shrimp to go into my tanks hah. I mean amanos are cool and all, but they don't multiply and can get rather expensive. I'm also looking for fully aquatic freshwater crabs, but come up short lol.

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ghost shrimp are spectacularly fast and Hardy so fast they look like they're switching I had ghost shrimp with my Betta honestly and they were so fast wen my Betta tried bullying it would give up after like 3 days my Betta left them alone bc they move so fast he would go to peck at them n then they be in a entire different area of the tank hiding n the Betta would be confused lol... I did eventually get a Cory fish tank n two amano shrimp n added the ghost shrimp to that tank But that was like a year ago the ghosties passed away the cities and amano are alive tho lol... I've learned the fish keeping hobby can be shocking n is more so what works foR u I had guppies who were terrrorist to my neon tetra lol n both are community fish

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ghost shrimp are spectacularly fast and Hardy so fast they look like they're switching I had ghost shrimp with my Betta honestly and they were so fast wen my Betta tried bullying it would give up after like 3 days my Betta left them alone bc they move so fast he would go to peck at them n then they be in a entire different area of the tank hiding n the Betta would be confused lol... I did eventually get a Cory fish tank n two amano shrimp n added the ghost shrimp to that tank But that was like a year ago the ghosties passed away the cities and amano are alive tho lol... I've learned the fish keeping hobby can be shocking n is more so what works foR u I had guppies who were terrrorist to my neon tetra **** n both are community fish
Yeah, my biology professor stresses almost every lecture that Humans are the only living thing that actually reads biology books and so you get a lot of critters being confusing, like aggressive guppies.

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I keep ghosts and rcs with honey gouramies.
They all have been great together.

Hope you enjoy your tank !

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I keep ghosts and rcs with honey gouramies.
They all have been great together.

Hope you enjoy your tank !
Thank you. Here's hoping my shrimp and Gourami will get along as well as yours.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@op. Couple points. First ghost shrimp have to be removed from the tank just before they have there eggs or they (the eggs) get eaten. Second, IMO ghost are not hardy shrimp they are mostly raised as feeder shrimp so they are not the healthiest shrimp normally, mine last 2-4 months. Third, most any fish has the desire to go after shrimp it’s a natural food source, how aggressively they go after it is a big variable. There are a lot of opinions on here about fish and shrimp. Read around a bit and be informed about what you’re trying to do is the best advise I can offer.

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@op. Couple points. First ghost shrimp have to be removed from the tank just before they have there eggs or they (the eggs) get eaten. Second, IMO ghost are not hardy shrimp they are mostly raised as feeder shrimp so they are not the healthiest shrimp normally, mine last 2-4 months. Third, most any fish has the desire to go after shrimp it’s a natural food source, how aggressively they go after it is a big variable. There are a lot of opinions on here about fish and shrimp. Read around a bit and be informed about what you’re trying to do is the best advise I can offer.
Thank you for you advice. I am reading what I kind find on the matter and have been considering Amano Shrimp instead of Ghosts after being informed of the Amanos substantially longer life-span. Been advised that Amanos are a bit better at defending themselves from fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom