Dwarf Gourami With Kissing Gourami?

GoldieMama
So yesterday I got a Dwarf Gourami from PetSmart.

In my tank, I have a sorority of 4 female Betta's, around 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Twin Platies (soon to be rehomed though) and 2 Nerite Snails all in a cycled, established 30-gallon tank.

I love the look of Kissing and Dwarf Gourami's, so yesterday I just got 1 (male) Dwarf. Can I put a Kissing in the tank or another type of Gourami?

If not, is there any other semi-large fish (maybe a Cichlid) that I could add?

Redshark1
Kissing Gourami are brilliant fish, large, robust (largely disease-free), colourful (the pink ones), easy to feed, good pets (feed from your hand) and great as a single.

Problem is they get huge, too big for a 30 gallon. They also bother some other fish by "kissing" them. Mine bothered my Clown Loach. Also, it is unfair to put them with cichlids as they do not have an aggressive mouth and can be badly hurt when a cichlid tries to lip-lock during scuffles.

What about a Bristlenose Catfish?

GoldieMama
Kissing Gourami are brilliant fish, large, robust (largely disease-free), colourful (the pink ones), easy to feed, good pets (feed from your hand) and great as a single.

Problem is they get huge, too big for a 30 gallon. They also bother some other fish by "kissing" them. Mine bothered my Clown Loach. Also, it is unfair to put them with cichlids as they do not have an aggressive mouth and can be badly hurt when a cichlid tries to lip-lock during scuffles.

What about a Bristlenose Catfish?
I've had a Bristle before, way too much ammonia and not an active fish. What about another type of Gourami?

Abby565
Don't mix gourami species.

Dave125g
Kissing gourami can get over a foot. There very aggressive. Not a good idea.

GoldieMama
Don't mix gourami species.
Kissing gourami can get over a foot. There very aggressive. Not a good idea.
What other semi-big fish could I add? I heard most dwarf g's are pretty shy

75g Discus Tank
Bettas and dwarf gouramis are in the same family.
I wouldn't mix them.

GoldieMama
Bettas and dwarf gouramis are in the same family.
I wouldn't mix them.
My Betta's are very peaceful, I've had them for almost and year so I know their personalities are pretty submissive. But wouldn't them being in the same family mean they can live together?

75g Discus Tank
My Betta's are very peaceful, I've had them for almost and year so I know their personalities are pretty submissive. But wouldn't them being in the same family mean they can live together?

Well, they are generally aggressive with each other.
Even if the females are passive, you don't know what the DG's aggressiveness is like.

GoldieMama
Well, they are generally aggressive with each other.
Even if the females are passive, you don't know what the DG's aggressiveness is like.
From what I can tell the DG is really shy, he is even scared of the neons

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kloseo
Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
Nidhi Nangia
  • Question