Dwarf Gourami with Bent Spine

Pickleslb3

Hi All,

Observed a bit of an issue with one of my Dwarf Gourami's and would appreciate any insights from the community and more experienced on potential disease identification and next steps. Setting up a QT tank to transfer the suspect DG for the time being.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gallon tank
How long has the tank been running? About 8 months
Does it have a filter? HOB filter, UV filter, and skimmer
Does it have a heater? 300W heater
What is the water temperature? 77 degree F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
3x Dwarf Gouramis
4x Cory Cats
6x Neon Tetras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? About 20%
What do you use to treat your water? Remineralized RO/DI water with Stress Coat and Coat Enzyme
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Soft sand substrate and do best to vacuum it

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Yes
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 ppm (time for a water change)
pH: 7.7 (slightly basic but have never budged)

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily with exception of water change day and mushed peas day following water change
How much do you feed your fish? Two pinches of flake with two pinches of pellets (try to half to bottom for corys); one a month with live brine shrimp. One a week with algae wafers
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra / Aqueon
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Occasionally

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About 6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A few days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? A bent spine and some white spots in feces (slightly stringy appearance); other than this no other symptoms have been observed and he behaves normally, swims perfectly fine, and eats just fine.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Not yet
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not to my knowledge
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Nothing aside from the bent spine. The DGs are quite aggressive with each other however.

I am suspecting some sort of parasitic infection but am concerned it could also be TB.

Thanks for the help!

Best Regards,
Thomas

Attachments

• 20200526_124800[1].jpg
    20200526_124800[1].jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 73

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

You said you think it could be fish TB. If you really do think so, be very careful. Do now allow anyone to put their hand in the tank that has a cut or open wound. I would wear shoulder length gloves if I was you.

I am not sure what it is, sry.

Upvote 0

Deku-Cory

I don't think it's TB. The bending in the spine from TB is vertical, not horizontal like this.

Upvote 0

Pickleslb3

Hi Deku-Cory and Canacullus,

I very much appreciate both your inputs. Seeing that this DG has not developed any other symptoms and seems perfectly fine, I am starting to think this may be something much more benign. I plan to not feed for a few days, provide some peas, and just keep a very close eye on him rather than trying to treat him for something in which I am not sure of. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Thomas

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, welcome to fishlore.

It could just be genetics rather than an illness or parasite. It's unfortunate but Dwarf Gourami are often terrible genetically and have a terrible health record. I think it comes from the overbreeding in Asia but I don't know exactly so I won't speculate too much.

Keep an eye on the aggression, it can and often does end when one fish is remaining.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
opalEssence
Replies
Views
Heathen
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aprilbeingbasic