Dwarf Gourami swimming funny

mossman

I have a dwarf gourami (red flame I think it's called) and he's been swimming funny for the past month. Swimming erratically, on his side, upside down, sleeping sideways at the top of the tank, etc. Otherwise he seems healthy. He is active, eats normally, chases other fish on occasion, has vibrant orange/red color. Does this sound like a swim bladder issue? Should I move him to a quarantine tank and treat with antibiotics?

MacZ

He is active, eats normally, chases other fish on occasion, has vibrant orange/red color.
The colour is not always a clear indicator with these domestic strains. Anyhow the other behaviour sounds like it's something organic, not a disease. Maybe a malformed or injured swim blatter. That means it's untreatable. So pare the fish any action. There is nothing you can do.

mossman

The colour is not always a clear indicator with these domestic strains. Anyhow the other behaviour sounds like it's something organic, not a disease. Maybe a malformed or injured swim blatter. That means it's untreatable. So pare the fish any action. There is nothing you can do.
Pare the fish any action?

I'm guessing you're saying to spare him any action because it will just stress him out more. I'll leave him alone and hope he recovers. If he stops eating then I'll euthanize.

MacZ

Yes, involuntary typo. My keyboard is now over 10 years old, I should probably get a new one.

And also yes, neither meds nor moving it to another tank will do anyhing, so just give the fish the best possible care. My guess is if it hasn't had any signs besides balance control it will have a somewhat normal lifespan, maybe substract a year or so.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alexk77
Replies
Views
Simbanalacat
Replies
Views
PixelCh1ck
Replies
Views