Dwarf Gourami survival???

swalker13

after hearing of the illness they get I did some research and my question is how many of you have kept them succesfully without them getting Dwarf GouramI Disease?

mosaicguppy

I have a dwarf gouramI and I was worried at first aswell but now he's happy and I've had him for three months.
Welcome to fish lore!

claudicles

I have lost two in the last six months with typical symptoms.

Lucy

I would encourage members who have had luck with DG's to also state how long they've had them.
From what I understand 3 months is the typical time frame for DGD to show up.

I know the topic is "how many of you have kept them successfully" however, I'll add my 2cents anyway.

I lost 1 after having him 3 months.
Didn't learn my lesson and got another and lost it within 2 weeks.
I made 100% sure the 2nd was in a tank that had not been cross contaminated with nets, syphons etc with the tank and equipment used with the first DG.

Edit:
Another important thing to take note is that not all DG deaths are from DGD, however they may be reported as such when there seems to be no other explanation.
They are also very suseptable to bacterial infections.

djorna

I have had mytwo dg for 8 months and they are very healthy, they are in my comunity tank with an asortment of other fish. prior to me getting them I did have probs with ones I bought before only lasting a couple weeks I almost gave up on buying them.

Asialyn

I've had my DG since late March this year, so about 5 months. I'm having a hard time finding information on Dwarf gouramI disease though, so I'm not entirely sure that he doesn't have it..

swalker13

thanks for the reply, I would like to hear more. I would love to have a couple but obviously don't want the issues, I might take the gamble...still thinking bout it

Fishyboy

I have a hunny dwarf gouramI I had him for 3 month and he's really helthy!!!!

JRDroid

Honey GouramI can't catch Dwarf gouramI diseaes. Your neon I believe is a dwarf gouramI though so you do have one that is doing well!

Fishyboy

The neons not a dwarft ..

djorna

it took a couple trys but I did finally get some good healthy ones that are a lovely addition to my community tank.

Vash

My female died on the 4th day.

My male died on somewhere between 3~4 weeks.

They mated on the second day. But the male started to refuse continue mating by attacking her on the 4th day. I suspect her died of unable to release eggs.

As for the male, he was so aggressive toward everything. Even poked at the snails and tried to corner shrimps. Then all the sudden he lost appetite and turned dull and dark for a week before died. Not 100% sure if it's the DGD.

I have two surviving fry right now. They are 2 days short of six weeks old. Nobody seem to know how long before I can certain these fry don't have DGD.

Most sources say Dwarf GouramI can live for 4+ years. Most of them are on the market around 4~6 months old from what I hear. So if they die within a year at your place, that's not a long life span.

mosaicguppy

Vash said:
My female died on the 4th day.

My male died on somewhere between 3~4 weeks.

They mated on the second day. But the male started to refuse continue mating by attacking her on the 4th day. I suspect her died of unable to release eggs.

As for the male, he was so aggressive toward everything. Even poked at the snails and tried to corner shrimps. Then all the sudden he lost appetite and turned dull and dark for a week before died. Not 100% sure if it's the DGD.

I have two surviving fry right now. They are 2 days short of six weeks old. Nobody seem to know how long before I can certain these fry don't have DGD.

Most sources say Dwarf GouramI can live for 4+ years. Most of them are on the market around 4~6 months old from what I hear. So if they die within a year at your place, that's not a long life span.
I think your female died of stress, not sure about the male. sometimes people just assume it's idiovirus when it could've been something else. Good luck with your fry vash!

Top Bottom