Dwarf Gourami Suddenly Aggressive

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by Oceanstar254, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Oceanstar254

Oceanstar254New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    So some time ago I had a pair of dwarf gourami. They had tried breeding but none were successful. Well back in January I lost her when she suddenly couldn't keep herself up and stopped eating. Well soon after losing her the male suddenly became aggressive and fairly skittish. His fins are also not so great looking but I have tried treating him for fun rot but nothing works. I am unsure how old he was when I got him. It I had him for almost 2 and a half years in my planted 37 gallon. I do not have a spare tank to separate him.

2. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +728
    Welcome :)

Dwarf gourami males are known to be aggressive at one point or another, i have a very similar problem with my boy lol

It does make things difficult. If you could buy him his own tank, even if its just a 10, 15, or 20 gal for just him by himself it would be fine. Depending on his size anyways, if he is a larger individual id opt for nothing smaller than a 15gal tbh.

Gouramis are related to bettas, so they have very similar compatibility with other fish. Either it works out or it doesnt. Mine hates all other fish except bottom feeders.

I mean, its always possible to try to locate another female and try to pair them up (heads up, with breeding, the male is known to get aggressive even with the female after in order to protect the nest) but even then you would need a new tank anyways as back up in case it doesnt work and he decides he doesnt want another fish of any kind nearby.

3. OP
    OP
    Oceanstar254

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    I am scared to get another gourami due to losing my last female. It was why I got apistogramma cacatuoides pair. I just don't want him killing anyone or my male apisto killing him for chasing the female apistogramma. He stays at the top so mostly if none go to high up he won't seek them out unless I am feeding them.

I am guessing he misses Zara his past female. But I can't get him another tank sadly no more room in my house. And I doubt anyone would take him with the fact of his agression and turn up fins (half think its self inflicted).

4. MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +728
    I understand that for sure. Dwarves are known to be more prone to viruses that specifically affect them. Its a big reason many steer clear nowadays. And yeah not everyone has room for more tanks.

How much plants do you have in the tank? Offering as much cover as you can will help reduce aggression as it breaks up their view

5. OP
    OP
    Oceanstar254

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    There is a large amount of plants and sight breakers

Attached Files:

6. MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +728
    Perhaps try some vertical branches of driftwood or some floating plants with longer roots

7. OP
    OP
    Oceanstar254

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    3 years
    I am working on rescaping and getting some rocks to help create a better layout