Dwarf Gourami Stressed Then Died

AKaquarist

Yesterday I had purchased a dwarf gourami? It looked healthy at the store. I did notice when they were bagging that they placed no meds in the bag. I also realized that the employee had placed my other purchase of an African dwarf frog in the same bag. Every one was acclimated into my 10 gallon and the gourami did seemed stressed out this morning was giving no signs of stress. I then came home today to find that the gourami was breathing heavily and lethargic. I kept an eye on the tank for a good hour and within that time the gourami began thrashing almost, and swimming very fast.... within 3 minutes later it had passed. What could have caused this issue? The store I buy them from is usually very good at handiling fish and I have had no issues in the past. My Levels are all correct and my 4 neon tetras and corydora catfish are fine as well and have showed no signs of stress either or failing health.

KimberlyG

None of the stores that I buy from ever place any meds in the bag, nor would I want them to. It sounds as though you DG had a problem to begin with.

Abby974

Ammonia poisoning? Did you put anything in your water before you added fish dechlorinate the water. Did you finish the ammonia cycle to make sure beneficial bacteria had built up. Do you know your ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite levels. Sorry for all the questions it just helps to know

BReefer97

When you say your levels are correct, what exactly are they? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
What's the tank size and what's the tank temperature?
I'm finding slight temperature differences in the fish you're keeping. Dwarf gouramis are around 80 degrees, Corydoras are 60-75 degrees, and neon tetras are 70-81 degrees. I don't know much about compatibility, but I would say the DG & Neon Tetras are okay sharing the same temperature, but I'm not really sure about the corydoras because they like it about 5 degrees cooler. This doesn't necessary explain why your DG passed though, which is why we need to know your parameters.

Also, how exactly did you acclimate him?

Additionally, they didn't add medication to the water because that's not advisable. It's dangerous to treat fish with no visible sign of illness/parasite/disease.

TexasGuppy

I read Cory's can handle a little warmer temps, but may knock off a few from their 10-15 year life span...

MattS99

There are multiple corydoras that all have different temperature requirements, guys...

junebug

There is no way that kind of behavior was caused by water parameters out of whack. If the fish was thrashing about, something was burning it. Windex? Alcohol? Some cleaning products have these items in them and they can't be used in fish tanks.

AllieSten

It is hard to get healthy DG’s from a big box store. I would be sure that your tank is heated, filtered and cycled.

Dwarf gouramis can tolerate temps from 72-82. So a temp of 76 would be about midrange. Most cories can tolerate a temp of 75-76, except pepper cories who need low 70’s.

I would need a full set of tank parameters before we could figure out what went wrong. Including ammonia, not, nitrates and pH. Along with tank temp.

Sorry for your loss.

CanadianJoeh

I second the above post.

BReefer97 there are several different Cory species who all require different temps.

Metone

If you don't currently have a way of testing your water that'd be recommended. Then you could post the levels and it'd be easier to solve.

This sounds dumb but make sure you're acclimating them properly and not dumping the aquarium water given directly into your tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ebster56
Replies
Views
tetratetris
Replies
Views
w_boughner
Replies
Views