Dwarf Gourami Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by matija, Apr 19, 2018.

1. matijaValued MemberMember

Could i stock pair of powder blue gouramis and 6 guppies in 10 gallon filled with java moss anubias and java fern.PS question : could i feed them maggots and earthworms from fishing store as live foods which they need to breed

2. jaymethyValued MemberMember

That's quite a heavily stocked 10 gallon. What are you looking to breed? The gouramis or the guppies?

For breeding the gouramis, you'd need to set up a breeding trio. 1 male and 2 females. Which would be fine for the breeding in the 10 gallon. However, once the breeding has occurred you would need to move the adults to a larger tank, as they will eat the fry.

I'd advise against breeding the guppies in a 10 gallon, as they breed like rabbits and you will very quickly have a very overstocked tank.

Neither of those fish would take earthworms or maggots, they are much too large. Look into live food avaliable from an aquarium shop, not a bait shop.

3. OP
    OP
    m

matijaValued MemberMember

Ok but do dwarf gouramis eat baby guppies

And this is another health problem

4. jaymethyValued MemberMember

Absolutely. Guppies will eat guppy fry if there aren't a TON of hiding spots.

5. OP
    OP
    m

1524155883460-1129825649.jpg I have 3 new guppies in 10 gallon and problem is that male and one female sit on the bottom of the tank and one female ont surface on the tank almost 2 hours .is something wrong .

No would gourami eat guppy fry

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2018
  6. jaymethyValued MemberMember

What is you water quality like? Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite? Did you cycle the tank before adding fish?

Yes, gourami's would most definitely eat guppy fry. But if you are breeding guppies, your tank will become overstocked so fast, that you also should not add the gourami's.

7. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

I would not add the pair and the guppies in the 10, maybe a 30 with dense plants. All guppy fry will be eaten if there is no hiding places, especially in a small tank. Guppies also might even eat the babies as soon as the pop out too

8. OP
    OP
    m

Ok thanks

And (silly me ) i just put fish without light in room so maybe they just gone to sleep

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice