Dwarf Gourami-sitting on bottom-Help!

1. J

Jason Well Known Member Member

I just got 2 gourami's the other day one seems fine but is prtty scared while the other doesnt eat and is resting on the bottom -any help???

2. f

fletch Valued Member Member

Mine did that when they were introduced to the tank. give them a week and then look for other signs like fin rot

3. OP
    OP
    J

thankyou! ;D

4. OP
    OP
    J

The gourami is looking slightly better, but still wont eat. Not sure what else I can do. ???

5. G

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

It may be a dominance thing. Watch them close and see if 1 is picking on the other. There are also foods you can buy with garlic that are supposed to entice fish to eat. New Life Spectrum has a variety, and Omega One has a flavor enhancer type. You can also try and add a little garlic juice to some flakes or pellets by soaking them with a little juice and tank water before putting the food in the tank. Also, make sure he has plenty of hiding places to get away. Hope he gets to eating soon! ;)

6. OP
    OP
    J

thankx for your help but he died a few hours after I posted this :'( but at least the other is very healthy

7. D

Durbkat Valued Member Member

What most likley happened was the other gourami was attacking him. Thats what happened to me I had two opaline gouramis and the bigger one attacked the smaller one. So I took the small one out and put him in another tank but it died anyway. :'( What you need to do is to get 2 or 3 more gouramis to go with the gourami that is already in their. And they should all live peacefully.

8. OP
    OP
    J

Thankx but the dominant one died last night...

9. G

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Wow J-man! I am so sorry. Were you able to take them back to the store where you got them?

10. OP
    OP
    J

Nah cause i had them for over 3-4 weeks well the dominant one. The other was like a week but i didnt take it back. I'm pretty sure the dominant one had dropsy and I thought he was fat. ! Should have realised it earlier but he wasnt fat for that long