Dwarf Gourami-sitting on bottom-Help!

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

I just got 2 gourami's the other day one seems fine but is prtty scared while the other doesnt eat and is resting on the bottom -any help???

2. fletch Member Member

Mine did that when they were introduced to the tank. give them a week and then look for other signs like fin rot

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

thankyou! ;D

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

The gourami is looking slightly better, but still wont eat. Not sure what else I can do. ???

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

It may be a dominance thing. Watch them close and see if 1 is picking on the other. There are also foods you can buy with garlic that are supposed to entice fish to eat. New Life Spectrum has a variety, and Omega One has a flavor enhancer type. You can also try and add a little garlic juice to some flakes or pellets by soaking them with a little juice and tank water before putting the food in the tank. Also, make sure he has plenty of hiding places to get away. Hope he gets to eating soon! ;)

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

thankx for your help but he died a few hours after I posted this :'( but at least the other is very healthy

7. Durbkat Member Member

What most likley happened was the other gourami was attacking him. Thats what happened to me I had two opaline gouramis and the bigger one attacked the smaller one. So I took the small one out and put him in another tank but it died anyway. :'( What you need to do is to get 2 or 3 more gouramis to go with the gourami that is already in their. And they should all live peacefully.

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thankx but the dominant one died last night...

9. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Wow J-man! I am so sorry. Were you able to take them back to the store where you got them?

10. Jason Well Known Member Member

Nah cause i had them for over 3-4 weeks well the dominant one. The other was like a week but i didnt take it back. I'm pretty sure the dominant one had dropsy and I thought he was fat. Dammit! Should have realised it earlier but he wasnt fat for that long