dwarf gourami sick

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by shadowfish, Jul 23, 2015.

1. shadowfish

shadowfish Well Known Member Member

i have had a male dwarf gourami in a ten gallon tank for a little over a year and he was getting slower and slower over a week and after a while he would not even go after live food.he is almost always on the bottom of the tank only coming up for air and laying flat on the sand or leaning on something (rocks,glass) i have not seen him eat in a few days but hes not getting thinner.the small cory cats in the same tank are just fine and very active.

please help!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

A 10 gallon tank is far too small for a gourami and cory cats. What are your water parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    shadowfish

im not sure about parameters but my waters hard if that helps. i did a snail population boom removing and used all new water after but hes been acting strange before the water change.i forgot to say i only have 2 corys in the tank with him one male one female and a larger filter than needed.

4. Dom90

Do you have a test kit to check? Do you know what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are?

5. OP
    OP
    shadowfish

no i do not have a test kit but im working on that...and since the corys are not suffering does that not say something?

6. OP
    OP
    shadowfish

should i put him in a tank with quickcure maclite green stuff (maclite might not be spelled right) and see if that helps???i think it might be parasites or something along that line

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

If he was suffering from parasites he would be getting thin even while eating. Also malachite green stains silicone permenantly and should not be added directly to a tank, but rather used as a bath.

If you can post us a picture of him and get us the parameters of your fish tank as soon as possible, it would be helpful. Other things that would help would be when your tank was set up, when was the last fish added, and did you quarantine and for how long? What is your mainenence schedule, how often and how much are your water changes, and do you use a dechlorinator?

8. OP
    OP
    shadowfish

the tank was cycled before i cleaned the snails out and i filled the tank up using new water but the same filter cartridge.the fish where added a little over a year ago at the same time from petco or petsmart i forget.i used a fungus clear tablet that says it helps infetions (i forgot to say that he has about 4 small holes in his upper fin) for all 3 fish.there is no clorine in our water.

9. OP
    OP
    shadowfish

i think it could be fin rot the symtoms are same.

10. Dom90

Fin rot usually results from poor water conditions. But we won't know for sure till you get a test kit to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    shadowfish

its a long way to a pet store so i cant get a test kit soon:(
    when the snails where in my tank my water was clean and spotless as they ate everything
    but after the snails,the water was not as clean.the gourami was in the clean water when i saw the holes in his fin then when i changed the water and i over fed a bit and the snails didnt eat it
    ,i only have a cartridge in the filter with filter floss and no carbon so its safe to say the water is not as clean now as it was but its clearing up now if that helps.so should i put him in really clean water and quickcure or will that do more harm than good?

12. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Snails dont clean water, they consume algae, excess food, and waste, and convert it into snail poop. Which later decomposes producing ammonia, which is broke down like ammonia from your fish. When we say poor water conditions, we mean a lot of organic material in the water, ammonia not being processed has built up, or nitrates have built uo to high levels. The parameters of your tank will tell us, but the fact that you had a snail explosions and since they are gone there the water is dirty tells me a lot. It sounds like you have a build up of organic material and need to increase water changes or you are not vacuuming the substrate to remove waste. This is a guess of course, but could you provide your maintainence schedule for water changes? How did you get rid of the snails?

13. OP
    OP
    shadowfish

snails eating excess food would make cleaner water right?thats what i meant by cleaner water.the snails where removed by hand when i dumped the tank i kept the fish in a tub while the tank was recycled with old filter media.i do a two gallon water change (a ten gallon tank) every one and a half weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice