Dwarf Gourami showing minute black spots all over body

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by TropAquariumNewbies, Aug 10, 2015.

1. TropAquariumNewbiesNew MemberMember

Hi All,

I recently started an aquarium and got two gouramis and one molly. One of the gourami has black minute spots all over its body. It may be natural to have this but just want to confirm if that is not due to any disease. I first had two gouramis and two molly but lost one due to bad water 3 weeks ago. ammonia - 0.25 ppm, nitrite - 0.25 ppm, nitrate - 40 ppm. just did a water change this morning but did not take readings after that. Fish is doing ok though.

I am unable to add a pic which I am trying to sort it out now. I want to confirm if there is anything wrong with the fish or water?

Thanks.

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

3. OP
    OP
    T

TropAquariumNewbiesNew MemberMember

Looks like the image size had to be reduced. Below is my Gourami pic. As you can see some minute black spots randomly all over body. They are very minute though. Sorry if this sounds a very silly question.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  4. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

They may be spots due to stress from the cycling process. I would keep up upon your water changes and try to procure a bacterial starter product like stability or colony and use as recommended until cycled. Best of luck.

5. OP
    OP
    T

Thank you Rivieraneo. I am already adding stress zyme, stress coat, ammonia/nitrite reducing waterlife solution, API nitrabox in filter recharged in aquarium salt. I added aquarium salt in the last two water changes after losing the molly. This time did not add any aquarium salt. I also have 'Pure aquarium' balls in the filter. Did you mean adding 'ATM colony Nitrifying Bacteria Freshwater for aquarium' ? Can I add them on top of these?

Thank you for the help.

6. Coradee

Imo that's a lot of additives going in the tank, I'd suggest you stop using them & do nothing but water changes with dechlorinator & get a bottled bacteria as Rivieraneo said

7. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks Coradee. I did feel that way but not sure which ones should I use regularly and which ones occasionally. May be I will keep 'Nitrabox' in filter for a couple of more months, use stress zyme/stress coat/bottled bacteria during water change. No more salt, pure aquarium balls or waterlife ammonia/nitrite reducing solution. Does this sound ok?

8. Coradee

That sounds better to me :)

9. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks. Is 'ATM colony Nitrifying Bacteria Freshwater for aquarium' ok or any other brand is better than that? Should i use this only once ( full cycle ) or for regular water changes?

Thank you.

10. Coradee

I'm not familiar with the ATM product, hopefully someone who's used it will be able to help.
    A lot of people here have used Tetra Safe start or Seachem Stability with success.

11. OP
    OP
    T

ah! Found Seachem Stability + Seachem prime to be good for freshwater. will try them. If anyone has better ones to suggest please let me know.

Thank you for your replies!

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What tank size are these fish in?

13. OP
    OP
    T

Tank size 28 litre - Aqua One Ecostyle 42.

Thanks.

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

That tank size is definitely way too small for two gouramis and a molly. The most you should do is a betta and a snail. Gouramis and mollies both require a minimum 20 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

If you have got two males, there will be one left soon (sorry).

16. OP
    OP
    T

I was told at the shop that they will be ok in this tank size. Now that i have already bought them what can I do to keep them healthy? One male and one female gourami.
    Thanks.

17. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    I wouldn't listen to the store's advice, often they are just trying to make money.
    I would upgrade their tank to a 20 gallon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice