Dwarf Gourami, Rcs, & Guppies?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Meguhhnn, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Meguhhnn

Meguhhnn Valued Member Member

I haven't stocked the tank yet because I had a pregnant ghost shrimp 2 to be exact (they are again too ) but it's time to stock my tank my ghost shrimp are of decent size and I moved my betta back to his tank. I have 1 red cherry shrimp idk how many of the ghost shrimp I'm about to donate to the pet store and a horned nerite with some Japanese algae shrimp.. I finally found a pet store that orders specifically what u want and I find ghost shrimp to be worthless little creatures and they breed to quickly for me and I hate to kill innocent fry. So I want only the jap algae shrimp and the colored variety of shrimp. I have a 15 gallon tank (going to purchase a 55 gallon next week!) I want to stock this with simple colorful fish. Like dwarf gourami (2) and a couple of guppies(male) I know the guppies being all male can be a bad idea but I wanted to attempt since I don't want a million guppies either. This tank is heavily planted and the filtration requires a lot of waste to feed the plant that grows from it. Ideas on stocking would be great I want to add color and beauty not tetras and or plain fish. I get they are all pretty basic until u go to salt water but the lesser of the basic freshwater fish. [​IMG]

This is the fry I currently have of ghost shrimp will they be large enough to stock tank now or should I wait or just go ahead and donate? [​IMG]
    Betta is back in his natural home.

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?

As far as the DG goes, you should only have 1 male. Males will fight once they mature. You can only keep them together in a 55 gallon with at least 6 of them. Depending on the dimensions of this tank you might not be able to do a DG since they should have at least a 24" tank.

As far as the guppies go, keeping all males together is fine :), there is nothing wrong with it!!! Many beginners for some reason thinks its a bad idea, but its worst to have a mix tank of male and females.

The DG will probably eat or try to eat the shrimps

3. OP
    OP
    Meguhhnn

Really I read in one forum that the male guppies will fight/stress them its best keep a 2 male 1 female ratio.. I try to research each fish to its fullest prior to purchase but it's hard to know the exact rule since everyone has their own opinion that they think is the most accurate I wish they would have 1 common rule for each fish accurately posted on a website that was trustworthy so tired of the multi searches. so dg don't require a school? I'll have to pull the dimensions shortly.. may end up attempting the female sorority on this tank or just getting another male betta

92a1e64100ee828e811ae3b02a4b405b.jpg
    Tank I'm currently speaking of.. about to clean and add more plants.

It is 22 in tank

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't keep dwarf gouramis with shrimp. The DG can eat the shrimp

5. Al913

Do you mean a 1:2 male to female ratio? So males can fight but that is why it sometimes best to have at least 5 if there are any aggressive ones. As a guppy breeder, the 1:2 male to female ratio should only be used for breeding whether it is selective or for mass production. If you want a community tank or don't want fry a group of male might be better. I have 2 males in a moderate-heavily planted 40 breeder and they constantly duel although it is a love hate relationship :). However there isn't any fin nipping just head to head.

DGs are mainly solitary animals! In the store they are able to keep a group because they are juveniles. Most semi-aggressive fish like angels will shoal together as juveniles and when they mature they will spread out and claim their own territory.

As far as accurate information goes I suggest you look at Seriously Fish which gives for the majority of the time accurate information. LOL, part of the fish hobby is knowing which websites to trust and have accurate information and which are just copying off other websites. This forum is great because we provide links and we are willing to explain what we say. However you can't always just look at one website there are a couple of other good websites out there and different ones are more specific for some types of fish such as Planet Catfish.

6. OP
    OP
    Meguhhnn

Thank you good to know it's hard to stock a small tank.. do female betta go after the rcs like the males do? I'm about to hit full research mode again.. so eager to stock this tank I've been waiting for nearly 3 or 4 months I don't even know it's been so long bc I was cycling for an eternity. I'm about ready to give up completely on aquariums since my fiancé has pretty much taken over and stocking with what he wants( i.e variated shrimp) they are cute but I want to stock with other stuff without issue. I said this tank was going to be my personal tank but as you see it's not going that way.. the 55 gallon might just work that way I want a blood parrot soo badly which he has complained well that's all you will have in that tank and my statement is good that's all I want fingers crossed I get my way

7. Al913

Yes females do go after shrimps :), shrimps are at the lowest part of the food chain and most fish will eat them however it depends on the size. Although most full grown betta will be able to eat adults or at least juveniles. However people have kept bettas that don't eat shrimp so it never hurts to try, but if you do only put one in there to test out and wait 2 weeks before adding any more if that one survives.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice