Dwarf Gourami: Quick Death

KingHarpoon

Hello everyone, this is a very grim first post...

My name is Ben, and I’ve been into fish keeping for many years. I’ve had a plethora of fish including betta, corydoras, tetras, danios, rainbow sharks, platys, mollys, and even African Dwarf Frogs.
Last month, I went out and bought my first ever dwarf gourami. He is/was a beautiful powder blue color, and I named him Harpoon.
He definitely became my favorite fish in the tank. Eating was never an issue, except in the very beginning which I’ve found is common amongst fish until they’ve eased into their new environment. His tank mates were some white cloud minnows, zebra danios, and black skirt tetras, all of which were aged anywhere from a few months to over a year (one black skirt in particular, Shadow, I got back in November... of 2019!!).
He has thrived, and has had no issues of any kind during his time with me, until... this morning. I found him cruising low to the bottom of the tank, unusual, but since he was buoyant to his normal capacity and swimming relatively normal, I brushed it off. Heat was fine, and he didn’t seem to have any damage from nipping.
I went to school, and when I returned to check my tank nearly 14 hours later… I found him laying on his side barely breathing.
That’s how he is right now… I don’t feel like there is any use, or any way to bring him back.
I’m going to be waiting out the inevitable, and hopefully it is a death he finds in his sleep.
So my question is... what could’ve killed Harpoon? He was 100% perfect yesterday, and I fed him the normal stuff I’ve been feeding him. What could’ve killed him in less than 24 hours!?
Thank you... I was planning on taking him to college as my third roommate (along with my human roommate), but... that seems impossible now.

Patman0519

Hello everyone, this is a very grim first post...

My name is Ben, and I’ve been into fish keeping for many years. I’ve had a plethora of fish including betta, corydoras, tetras, danios, rainbow sharks, platys, mollys, and even African Dwarf Frogs.
Last month, I went out and bought my first ever dwarf gourami. He is/was a beautiful powder blue color, and I named him Harpoon.
He definitely became my favorite fish in the tank. Eating was never an issue, except in the very beginning which I’ve found is common amongst fish until they’ve eased into their new environment. His tank mates were some white cloud minnows, zebra danios, and black skirt tetras, all of which were aged anywhere from a few months to over a year (one black skirt in particular, Shadow, I got back in November... of 2019!!).
He has thrived, and has had no issues of any kind during his time with me, until... this morning. I found him cruising low to the bottom of the tank, unusual, but since he was buoyant to his normal capacity and swimming relatively normal, I brushed it off. Heat was fine, and he didn’t seem to have any damage from nipping.
I went to school, and when I returned to check my tank nearly 14 hours later… I found him laying on his side barely breathing.
That’s how he is right now… I don’t feel like there is any use, or any way to bring him back.
I’m going to be waiting out the inevitable, and hopefully it is a death he finds in his sleep.
So my question is... what could’ve killed Harpoon? He was 100% perfect yesterday, and I fed him the normal stuff I’ve been feeding him. What could’ve killed him in less than 24 hours!?
Thank you... I was planning on taking him to college as my third roommate (along with my human roommate), but... that seems impossible now.
I stopped buying dwarf gorani over this very same thing...I do not know what killed mine either but both of them experienced the same exact thing described in your post.
If you want to be quick about it a sharp knife and head removal is best,brutal and archaic but better than suffering a slow pain.

Upvote 0

KingHarpoon

I stopped buying dwarf gorani over this very same thing...I do not know what killed mine either but both of them experienced the same exact thing described in your post.
If you want to be quick about it a sharp knife and head removal is best,brutal and archaic but better than suffering a slow pain.

I read that dwarf gourami are actually prone to swim bladder issues. I wish I would’ve known that before I got him though... even worse yet? Shadow, my 1.5 year old black skirt tetra isn’t doing too hot either. He’s swimming like a swim star, but he’s turned semi-transcluent, is eating less, and for some reason, has red in his mouth and head. It’s kind of scary looking, but I think it’s almost his time too.
I’m going to college in 3 months, and I was hoping to take Harpoon as my third roommate, but instead it seems like my human roommate and I will be selecting some new fish to take with us. We’re allowed up to 20 gallons, so we’re deciding what we want.

Upvote 0

Patman0519

I read that dwarf gourami are actually prone to swim bladder issues. I wish I would’ve known that before I got him though... even worse yet? Shadow, my 1.5 year old black skirt tetra isn’t doing too hot either. He’s swimming like a swim star, but he’s turned semi-transcluent, is eating less, and for some reason, has red in his mouth and head. It’s kind of scary looking, but I think it’s almost his time too.
I’m going to college in 3 months, and I was hoping to take Harpoon as my third roommate, but instead it seems like my human roommate and I will be selecting some new fish to take with us. We’re allowed up to 20 gallons, so we’re deciding what we want.
Each of you run a 20 long and get something easy and fu. to watch,rasboras are cool,maybe a bristelnose pleco for each tank and some snails.
Do a big water change in the tank,did you add any new decor or anything of that nature?

Upvote 0

KingHarpoon

Each of you run a 20 long and get something easy and fu. to watch,rasboras are cool,maybe a bristelnose pleco for each tank and some snails.
Do a big water change in the tank,did you add any new decor or anything of that nature?
First of all, we can’t. We’re allowed only up to 20 gallons altogether for the room, not for each person. The rule is actually 10 gallons per person.
Second of all, no. The latest plant I’ve put in there I got months before Harpoon. The latest updated piece of new structure was back in April, before I got Harpoon as well.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mryan15
Replies
Views
SLuGz
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question