Dwarf Gourami Question

1. nap83 Initiate Member

hey what's going on guys...

i just set up my 20 gallon tank (fully cycled) & put in a neon blue dwarf gourami...

a week later i put in a gold gourami & a flame red dwarf gourami... the weird thing is that as soon as i put the 2 gouramis with the neon blue one, the neon blue dwarf started terrorizing the flame red dwarf but not the gold one... so i took the neon blue out... 30 minutes later, the gold gourami started terrorizing the flame red one... it's odd because there was no signs of aggression on the way home, they were even on the same bag! what should i do?  ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Gouramis can be real butt heads to other gouramis. I'm afraid there is no solution except to take 2 of them back. Sorry.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Gunnies absolutely right!! They can really terrorize each other. Since they are labrinth fish like Bettas they need alot of top water space and are very territorial. Since the Neon Blue was put in first he thinks the other two are invading his territory. If you would like to keep them I suggest taking all three out, re-arrange the tank a little and put them all three back in at the same time, then leave them alone unless some one is being hurt.As quoted from Gouramis and other anabantoids by Hans-Joachim Richter, " There are to kinds of aggression, frontal impression and lateral impression, in which each fish tries to show himself bigger and stronger than its rival. With lateral impression the fish holds himself sideways to his rival and spreads his fins to their maximum size and intensifies his color. the first fish swims past his rivels nose in such manner and waggles his body in hopes it will scare him away. Frontal impression is carried out face to face with mouth wide open and operculum spread in the manner of Bettas. this makes them look bigger than they are." In the wild the rival can just swim away, in aquaria that isn't so easy. so just keep an eye out for any damage. Hope this helps you some.
    Carol

4. nap83 Initiate Member

thanks guys, i'll take them all out & reintroduce them all at the same time. pretty good idea.

the thing that's happening right now is that the gold one is terrorizing the red & the red is terrorozing the blue.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If you can keep them out over night that would be good.
    Carol

6. Craig Well Known Member Member

very territorial fish but i recently got 2 new red fire dwarf gouramis and they get on like a house on fire guys and girls possibly more fry ahead, but they get on really well

7. Hazcop Member Member

I put 2 golden and 2 dwarf neon blues in my 75 gallon. The Goldens like the right side of the tank near the filter, and the Neons keep to the left side of the tank near the heater. No problems seen yet. They were introduced at the same time, and just worked this out themselves. I also had a male beta in the tank, but he was relocated proir to the gouramis introduction.

8. bbfeckawitts Member Member

Our Dwarf Gouramies do that as well. As long as no one is getting hurt it should be OK. ;)

9. vin Well Known Member Member

I'd go with pairs personally...1 of each sex per pair....They should occupy each other...It could have been that the guy you had originally felt invaded as others have said...Find him a mate and make sure the other pair are properly sexed.