Dwarf Gourami Question

Isabella

There is a post by a beginner who asks for advice on how to stock his 29 UK gallon tank (about 35 US gallons). He's interested in easy and hardy beginner fish. I suggested 1-3 schools of any of the following species: zebra danios, white clouds, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, neons, etc ... (basically any small peaceful freshwater fish) - with white clouds and zebra danios as being the hardiest of this suggested group. I also think a pair of dwarf gouramis would be OK in a community tank with 1-3 schools (schools of 6) of the smaller fish. Only I think I've read somewhere on Fish Lore that gouramis need to be kept in a ratio of 1 female to 2 males. Is that correct? If he decides to have gouramis, should he have 1 female and 2 males? Or is it the other way around? Also, dwarf gouramis would be OK in a 29 UK gallon tank with, say, 6 zebra danios and, say, 6 harlequin rasboras or 6 cherry barbs, right?

Here is the post by the beginner: .

Boxermom

I had a solo male DG for quite awhile and he was fine, and now have a pair (finally found him a female - they're not easy to get it seems). They do perfectly fine as a pair.

Isabella

Thanks. Are they peaceful with smaller community fish that I've mentioned above?

Boxermom

Mine live with cherry barbs, german blue rams, WCMMs, a bristlenose pleco, SAEs, and about a ton of Amano and cherry shrimp. They are very peaceful. The only time I've ever heard of them having problems is when they've been put with other anabantoids like bettas.

Isabella

That's good to hear. Thank you.

Butterfly

One male and one or two femaless would work, but two males usually fight.
Would indeed be a pretty tank.
Carol

Isabella

OK, thanks Carol

Jason

They rarely sell females here only ever males, nice looking fish. If you keep more than 1 male you need lots of hiding places and a larger tank so they can establish territories etc.

Isabella

OK, so 1 male : 1 female ratio, or 1 male : 2 females should be safe for a community tank, right?

Lucy_kk

Iv just bought 3 females for my male as he was totally too hyper for just 2 the girlys just got too stressed and it works fine. They are in with 3 phantom tetras; 5 neons and a danio and this seems to work well.

vin

Isabella said:
OK, so 1 male : 1 female ratio, or 1 male : 2 females should be safe for a community tank, right?
Pairs - one of each sex should be fine, just not two males...They're too bull headed to get a long....Just advise them to make sure they have a place for each to hide so if they have a spat they each have their own hiding place until things cool down.

platypuff

Yes two males is bad news ......... but I only just found out! I have two males and one is a nightmare it has started to attack any fish that goes near it and the other male just gets chases, knocked and bullied by the other. I am now deciding if I should return the bully or get a couple of female to entertain him! Total nightmare!!!! :

vin

See if they'll swap a male for a female- I'd try to trade the more aggressive one.

platypuff

vin said:
See if they'll swap a male for a female- I'd try to trade the more aggressive one.
I am hopefully going to do this at the weekend because it is starting to take over the whole tank!

vin

Good Luck!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom