Dwarf gourami powder blue male or female?

Kalaaidit

Hey! I bought this dwarf gourami from a local fish store as a female but have recently seen some behavior normal to male dg. For example the fish tries to collect parts of some plants to the surface. I tried to google about the gender but couldn’t come to any conclusion about the gender. I would like to know if it is a male or a female so if some of you could help me figure out the gender of my dg it would be great. Thank you in advance!

grac3

looks like a male to me

Cjl

Can anyone tell me if this dg is female

Dunk2

Female Dwarf Gourami are not colorful. Kinda grayish in color and much harder to find than males.

You may know this, but 2 males in the same tank often doesn’t end well.

Cjl

Dunk2 said:
Female Dwarf Gourami are not colorful. Kinda grayish in color and much harder to find than males.

You may know this, but 2 males in the same tank often doesn’t end well.
Yeah this my my problem i got sold 3 by the pet shop and they told me they are more calm in 3s but i have 1 that is a bully and am now looking for someone to take him and or females to put in to distract them

Dunk2

Cjl said:
Yeah this my my problem i got sold 3 by the pet shop and they told me they are more calm in 3s but i have 1 that is a bully and am now looking for someone to take him and or females to put in to distract them
What size tank are they in?

I don’t know this for sure, but here’s my guess. . . The fish you refer to as the bully is the most dominant of the 3. If you get rid of the bully, one of the remaining 2 is going to become dominant over the other. So you’ll have the same issues, just one less fish.

I always recommend 1 male Dwarf Gourami per tank.

Falena

That is indeed a male and the behaviour you're seeing is nesting behaviour. Dwarf gourami are bubble nesters and they often add plants to the nest
Is he alone?
Cjl said:
That definitely is a male
The store probably told you that dwarf gouramis do best in 3s because gourami are very sociable and have a strict social hierarchy.
Hower, in many cases that 3 would only consist of one male. And with dwarfs especially, they can be notoroiously territorial and aggressive.
I've had some success keeping them in a pair or trio ( one male and one female or 1 male 2 females in a heavily planted tank no less than 30 gallons) but it doesn't always work out that way either, its really dependant on the individual fish.
Multiple males, unfortunately is a disaster waiting to happen

Latest threads

Top Bottom