Dwarf Gourami Passed Away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Only a few weeks? Is it possible he had dwarf gourami iridovirus? I read somewhere online as much as 22% of all dwarf gouramis in the industry have it. Don't quote me on that though. I have had pretty bad luck getting healthy dwarf gouramis myself.

Tiny goatfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Only a few weeks? Is it possible he had dwarf gourami iridovirus? I read somewhere online as much as 22% of all dwarf gouramis in the industry have it. Don't quote me on that though. I have had pretty bad luck getting healthy dwarf gouramis myself.
Same here, I've owned 5 dwarf gouramis and 3 have died a few weeks or a month or so after buying them, the ones I have right now act very healthy, but they always die quite suddenly so I don't know if they will pull through. Dom90 I meant was he friendly to you? My first DG acted like a dog... VERY friendly.

OP
Dom90

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Like you guys said, his death seemed so sudden. He wasn't showing signs of distress or infection. So it could be iridovirus?

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
From my experience, yes, it's likely iridovirus.

When purchasing a dwarf gourami in particular, make sure none of the other DGs look stressed, sick or dying. You want to get the fish from as healthy of a source as humanly possible.

OP
Dom90

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
From my experience, yes, it's likely iridovirus.

When purchasing a dwarf gourami in particular, make sure none of the other DGs look stressed, sick or dying. You want to get the fish from as healthy of a source as humanly possible.
The stock from this store is usually good. I went there on the good reviews I had read on yelp.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's the same at my LFS, the reviews are really good on yelp. Unfortunately even the best shops will occasionally have an unhealthy batch. Especially when such a large amount of fish in a particular species is potentially infected with iridovirus.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The DG os one of the moneymakers at most LFS's. Dead ones means selling new ones.
Same overhere with goldfish. 10.000.000 are imported each year, so the same amount dies each year. As said there should be a ban on these beautiful fish that are destroyed by pressurebreeding in Asia.
Try to get local bred ones.
Thise are Iridovirus free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom