Dwarf Gourami Or Betta? Question

1. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I have a 29 gallon tank and this is the stocking I would like to have in it:
    1 x Dwarf Gourami
    1 x Bolivian Ram
    8 x Panda Corys
    3 x Guppys
    3 x Platys
    10 x Tetras (Most likely Neons)

Which would be better to have, the dwarf gourami, or should I get a betta instead?

2. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

None I'll say a honey would be a lot better both can be aggressive.... and can hurt the other fish or even chase them to death from stress

3. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Neither, also scrap the Ram. When I started I had similar stock (Zebra Danios instead of Tetras, Peppered and Pictus Cats instead of Pandas). I have roughly the same stock now except the livebearer population has exploded. When getting livebeares stock very light because they will breed alot. And after a few generations you'll have to add new stock to avoid inbreeding, and deformed offspring. Hope this helps.

4. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

The live bearers are all male (I already have the 3 guppies and 3 platies)

5. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

How about this idea for you tank?
    1 Honey Gourami
    8 Panda Cories
    9 Bleeding Heart Tetras
    8 Cardinal Tetras
    10 Ghost Shrimp

6. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I already have the 3 guppies and 3 platies... and I also don't like shrimp.

7. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Well then that losses my idea :D not very good with livebearers so I'm out of options :D

Ask @BeanFish he might know or @aquatickeeper he's pretty good with livebearers

8. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

:D:D
    You said to get a honey instead of a dwarf. Is there anything I could add other than the honey? My platies are Sunburst so there will be too much orange in the tank.

9. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Get females immediately. Male guppies are more pretty but unless they have females they will become aggressive. In my 29 several very old females gave birth and then died, so I had it that they had 2 males per female. They became aggressive super fast and I lost at least 3 smaller males. Get some females and a nice school of 8-10 pandas. I know you don't want them mating, but if you get livebearers that's what happens.

10. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

What about sparkling? You might be able to add a peacock Gudgeons but I'm not sure you will have to ask @Anders247

11. goplecos Well Known Member Member

No Gouramis. They are peaceful slow moving fish, while guppies are super active and will stress them out, same with most labyrinth fish

12. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I agree just trying to list options not all that good with guppies :/

13. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

OK, I can't agree with that. My first stock in my 20 long was 2 honey gouramis, 6 male guppies, and 6 Columbian tetras. The guppies behaved well and didn't mess with each other because there were lots of hiding spots and they actually moved around in a big group. But this is where it gets interesting. The guppies and the honeys swam around together. They seemed to even like the guppies. A few times during feeding, the tetras would start to pick on the guppies and one of the gouramis would actually chase the tetra away. I'm sure it's a rare case, but there's absolutely no reason to not keep guppies and honeys.

14. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

My guppies are pretty peaceful too, they sometimes swim around with the platys and I've never seen them fight

15. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Livebearers just like being with other livebearers. I have 2 male guppies and a male platy in my 20 long right now. The guppies hang out with each other a lot, sometimes the platy joins in with them.

16. goplecos Well Known Member Member

You may be completely right, but I have tried to keep gouramis with guppies on 2 occasions, and both times ended in disaster.

17. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, gouramis should be fine with guppies.
    Don't do a betta.

18. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Would any gourami be ok, or do I have to have honeys?

19. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Honey, dwarf, banded, or thick-lipped are some options.

20. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Ok, thanks for the options. Can I keep two gouramis or do I have to have 1? Maybe like a dwarf and a honey, or 2 dwarfs, is that possible?