Dwarf gourami on the verge of dying - update: he died

Swiftyfishy2008

Ok so I just woke up this morning and for the most part I didn’t see my gourami anywhere, I didn’t think much of it cause I though he was probably just hiding or something, yesterday he was also mostly hiding under a plant I have, I also didn’t think much of that since he usually isn’t that active so I thought maybe he was just sleepy that day, and now I am noticing him barley moving at the top of the tank. I don’t know what happened a couple days ago he was litteraly exploring the tank and eating a little bit of food. He’s still alive but he keeps floating to the top. I just gave him a tap right now and he moved around and just fell the the bottom. What do I do.
Here’s the tank

Attachments

• 2EC9CDB4-F6C0-4A93-8A31-D68846B49B0C.jpeg
    2EC9CDB4-F6C0-4A93-8A31-D68846B49B0C.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 39291264-0D07-4732-8748-5B4BE650D0CC.jpeg
    39291264-0D07-4732-8748-5B4BE650D0CC.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 80CBFE82-93E5-4224-B1C5-7D4B21560E1D.jpeg
    80CBFE82-93E5-4224-B1C5-7D4B21560E1D.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 44

Ouse

He looks (and sounds) very emaciated. Sadly, I don’t think he can be saved at this point.

fishot

so sorry to say this, but he might not make it :(

I have tried so many guramis before, and this happened to every single one of them... I've had dwarfs, honeys and thicklipps, but none of them lasted. I guess it's not just me.

Swiftyfishy2008

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
How long has the tank been running?
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? Probably around 75 to 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) dwarf gourami, 4 guppies, 1 nerite snail, 1 otocinclus

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?not often, every 2-3 weeks
How much of the water do you change? 5-10%
What do you use to treat your water?stress coat + and quick start API
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Just water
I also use polyfil and change it once or twice a week
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?no, but I did make sure to use my water treatment, it’s been running for like a month or 2
What do you use to test the water? I don’t have anything to test my water, although when I take off the top of my tank I get a STRONG smell, I don’t know what it is but it’s strong
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:na
Nitrite:na
Nitrate:na
pH:na

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?1 to 2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish?flakes
What brand of food do you feed your fish?glo fish flakes
Do you feed frozen?no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?yes sometimes freeze dried daphnia

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Yesterday.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?I think like 1-2 days ago he was starting to become lethargic
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?he wasn’t coming out much and was hiding
Have you started any treatment for the illness?no It just became a problem today
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes, he didn’t want to eat anything, I got him from PetSmart
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He’s doing worst than he was

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now
Well I just tried moving him and he isn’t really moving at all, anymore, he just moves his fins a tiny bit then stops, does anyone know why he died? This was so unexpected, he used to always be active, not super but active enough to the point where you would think he’s normal.

Ouse

You need to be changing the water once every week. 50% of it each time. 10% weekly, let alone every two-three weeks, isn’t cutting it.

The strong smell you speak of could be the smell of ammonia for all we know. I don’t think the tank is cycled; I’m almost certain of it.

I still don’t see the fish being able to recover. I’m sorry.
How long have you had this fish? Yesterday.
Hmm, I thought you’ve had this fish for a while?

Swiftyfishy2008

You need to be changing the water once every week. 50% of it each time. 10% weekly, let alone every two-three weeks, isn’t cutting it.

The strong smell you speak of could be the smell of ammonia for all we know. I don’t think the tank is cycled; I’m almost certain of it.

I still don’t see the fish being able to recover. I’m sorry.

Hmm, I thought you’ve had this fish for a while?
Oh I typed that by accident I though it said when I started to notice the problem, yesterday was when I really started to notice it. Yes I’ve had it for like a month. Sorry for the small error.
And about the smell, idk, it’s hard to explain, it’s like a rubbery smell? It smells strong the most next to the air pump where the buboes come out.

WRWAquarium

Hi

I really advise following the advice on water change percentage and frequency for the health of your fish.

Edit*... In fact re reading the template there is a chance the tank isn't cycled. After 2 months it should be but if ammonia or nitrite is spiking you will want to be doing water changes perhaps daily.

Invest in a test kit as well if you can afford it. Its so worth while having. Your LFS should be able to test for you too.

Without a test kit your going to be in the dark guessing on water quality.

Swiftyfishy2008

Hi

I really advise following the advice on water change percentage and frequency for the health of your fish.

Invest in a test kit as well if you can afford it. Its so worth while having. Your LFS should be able to test for you too.

Without a test kit your going to be in the dark guessing on water quality.
I’m definitely getting that next time, I never get water tester kits and that’s probably why he died, idk even know what or if I’ll even get another fish, It’s fun getting new fish but it’s not fun when they die, all my fish I’ve gotten have died, my first one I got was a betta, that one died to swim bladder, my next bettas danios and my neon tetras, died cause I got that betta another betta tank mate and they fought a lot so I got 2 more thinking they would stop if there is 4 of them, ps it didn’t,but since one of them had ick it made the situation 10 times worse so I water changed to whole tank and while they were in the cups I think they froze cause next thing you know my danios were belly up in the cup my neon tetras we’re at the top of the cup and some were spinning in circles, now this gourami dies for probably the water perimeters. Idk if I’ll get fish agian, and if I do it’s gonna be one really hard fish. And I’m doing a ton of research.
I just tried moving my gourami and he’s swimming around in a very weird pattern, do you guys think I should euthanize him?

WRWAquarium

The gourami could be poorly for other reasons than the water. As many have said they are susceptible to a gourami specific disease. Your guppies and otto in the tank are doing OK right?

Many here use the Api master test kit. It cost a fair bit but is a worth while investment and can last many months.

Don't feel too down with everything, fish keeping is a learning curve and the fact your here asking for help and researching means you will get there soon :)

Swiftyfishy2008

The gourami could be poorly for other reasons than the water. As many have said they are susceptible to a gourami specific disease. Your guppies and otto in the tank are doing OK right?

Many here use the Api master test kit. It cost a fair bit but is a worth while investment and can last many months.

Don't feel too down with everything, fish keeping is a learning curve and the fact your here asking for help and researching means you will get there soon :)
Thanks, I definitely hope to get a lot of tips and helpful things out of being here on fishlore,hopefully I will be able to take care of fish perfectly after reasearching and getting help for my fish on here. And my guppies and oto look active definitely a lot more than my gourami has ever been. My guppies are just swimming are kind rn, I never see them take breaks that often and just like stay in one spot, I mostly see then going around the tank at the top of it or the middle, my oto is cleaning the glass rn it looks like, it looks like the oto is moving quickly around the glass cleaning it so he/she is pretty active.

Swiftyfishy2008

I got a dwarf gourami about a month or 2 ago, at first he didn’t eat anything I gave him, even freeze dried daphnia or bloodworms, well actually he ate it but only a little bit. I started give him flakes thats when he finnaly ate them. I thought he was gonna be good since he was active, not super active but he was active, then like a day ago I was noticing he was super lethargic, hiding all day, barley moving from his spot. Now today I looked and he was at the top of the tank breathing and barley moving he was still alive but was on his last leg, it was totally unexpected since it seemed like he was improving like 4 days ago. I decided to euthanize him cause I couldn’t see him suffer anymore. Now Im on here cause I want to figure out why he died. If it was a disease, if it was just some random unexpected problem or if it was the water perimeters or something, here are the details.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank 10 gallon
What is the water volume of the tank? Not to the very top but about a inch and a half away
How long has the tank been running? 1-2 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater?yes
What is the water temperature?82-75
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)4 male tuxedo guppies, 1 nerite snail which I think is female, 1 oto gender not identified. And there used to be a male dwarf gourami til today

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 2-3 weeks
How much of the water do you change?10%
What do you use to treat your water? Stress coat+ and quick start APi
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just the water haven’t vacuumed the gravel in a while

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?No
What do you use to test the water?I don’t have anything
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:I get a strong smell from my tank they kinda smells rubbery but idk if it’s amonnia or what it is
Nitrite:NA
Nitrate:NA
pH:NA

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1-2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish?small pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish?glo fish flakes I heard there not really different from normal ones
Do you feed frozen?no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?daphnia, mysis and bloodworms rarely

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?1-2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1-2 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?He was starting to become super lethargic and not active, then today I noticed his swimming pattern was weird and he would float at the top of the tank or fall to the bottom
Have you started any treatment for the illness?No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?I don’t know to be honest, but he did not want to eat anything I gave him at first.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? It didn’t really have a different look when it came to colors but he was starting to be more active and then he just stopped recently

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Explained at top.
Here are some pictures of what he looked like before I euthanized him and here’s what the tank looks like

Attachments

• C8A5BCB1-6133-43BD-ACF8-4AE6A05A2BB0.jpeg
    C8A5BCB1-6133-43BD-ACF8-4AE6A05A2BB0.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BDB4EFC8-8BB7-4FFC-89C4-B6871A266A92.jpeg
    BDB4EFC8-8BB7-4FFC-89C4-B6871A266A92.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 15
  • A49710CB-9413-4804-9E73-4BCBCC89D32C.jpeg
    A49710CB-9413-4804-9E73-4BCBCC89D32C.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 15

Ouse

I have to think poor water quality played a huge role in his death. I can’t identify any diseases that were present from the photos.

Swiftyfishy2008

I have to think poor water quality played a huge role in his death. I can’t identify any diseases that were present from the photos.
I think it definitely might be the water, I didn’t really see any visible problems when I looked at him. But the only thing is if it was the water quality is it going to be affecting my other fish in my tank right now? Cause they look normal and active for the most part right now.

WRWAquarium

The answer is yes. Ammonia and nitrite if present are dangerous to all fish. Nitrate can be dangerous too if at high levels for long periods.

If your water was highly toxic I would have thought the otto would be showing signs of distress. Those are quite sensitive fish as far as I know.

Research the nitrogen cycle, there's a good video on YouTube by KGtropicals that i remember watching.

What kind of filter are you running? I kind of missed the rubber smell part earlier. That is strange and I've no idea on that.

connorjs1004

To me, based on its body shape, it reminds me of what my honey looked like when it had internal parasites

jinjerJOSH22

I think it definitely might be the water, I didn’t really see any visible problems when I looked at him.
He looks more pale compared to when you got him as well as his stomach doesn't look as healthy. Colour change of fish is often a good way of telling if something is wrong. Not always as there are other factors that can affect this but loss of colour is a good indicator of stress and stress is a prime killer of fish.

More regular maintenance is a must especially on a young tank. As far as I can see you don't have any live plants, so keeping the water quality up to scratch falls to you.

Keep a cool head and do lots of research, this is a good place to be active at and I'm sure your fish keeping will start to flow nicely.

Swiftyfishy2008

The answer is yes. Ammonia and nitrite if present are dangerous to all fish. Nitrate can be dangerous too if at high levels for long periods.

If your water was highly toxic I would have thought the otto would be showing signs of distress. Those are quite sensitive fish as far as I know.

Research the nitrogen cycle, there's a good video on YouTube by KGtropicals that i remember watching.

What kind of filter are you running? I kind of missed the rubber smell part earlier. That is strange and I've no idea on that.

The filter is one that came with the top fin 10 gallon bubble wall, i dont have the specific name but I know it came with the tank when I got it. The smell is mainly coming from the air pump we’re the bubble come out though. Idk if it’s normal or a sign that something is wrong with the water perimeters.
To me, based on its body shape, it reminds me of what my honey looked like when it had internal parasites
I didn’t see any external parasites on him, idk about inside of him though, the small lump under his stomach has always been there.
He looks more pale compared to when you got him as well as his stomach doesn't look as healthy. Colour change of fish is often a good way of telling if something is wrong. Not always as there are other factors that can affect this but loss of colour is a good indicator of stress and stress is a prime killer of fish.

More regular maintenance is a must especially on a young tank. As far as I can see you don't have any live plants, so keeping the water quality up to scratch falls to you.

Keep a cool head and do lots of research, this is a good place to be active at and I'm sure your fish keeping will start to flow nicely.
I could definitely tell his color wasn’t really changing, I thought the more I had him his color would brighten but it never did.

btw the picture is were the strong smell is coming from

Attachments

• 15491399-C1A2-4666-A985-5D21833D3A59.jpeg
    15491399-C1A2-4666-A985-5D21833D3A59.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 16

Swiftyfishy2008

I’m gettin test strips soon y’all so just be on standby They should be here within this week

Swiftyfishy2008

Got it here are results
20 nitrates
0 nitrites
Very hard water 300
Chlorine 0
KH 180
pH 8.0-8.4 it was hard to tell this one
Here’s a better picture
Here is a better picture

Attachments

• 43243202-34F7-452C-8293-402BBB8CC15F.jpeg
    43243202-34F7-452C-8293-402BBB8CC15F.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 4571F4A8-5FE1-4F59-8843-BF455E9E9C58.jpeg
    4571F4A8-5FE1-4F59-8843-BF455E9E9C58.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 15

fishot

it may have also been the hard water... but I'm so so sorry to hear that! but don't give up!

Swiftyfishy2008

it may have also been the hard water... but I'm so so sorry to hear that! but don't give up!
I couldn’t really tell about the pH was, was it fine for a gourami? And how can I lower the hard water to a more comfortable water that the fish would enjoy?

Swiftyfishy2008

I did another test today and think I did it correctly this time cause I searched up how to do it. here’s what it got

nitrates 10
Nitrites 0
Total hardness 300 very hard
Chlorine 0
120 KH
6.8 pH

Ouse

Are you unable to test for ammonia?

Dwarf gouramies have become so, so weak over time thanks to the trade. It takes little to kill them nowadays, unfortunately.

Swiftyfishy2008

I got tetra test strips and they didn’t show it tested ammonia. But do you think the test I got on my water with the test strips was good water conditions? Or was the very hard water I have could be a big problem?

PlatyLover4

I think there are separate Tetra Test Strips for testing ammonia. I use them along with the regular test strips.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mindy3
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views