dwarf gourami mating!

lilsoccakid
hey guys! ive seen my male dwarf gourami build a bubble nest before, but I think this time they will lay eggs! its a very big nest, and hes been tugging java moss off the bottom, and stacking it on top of the cave up to the nest! also, his colors are extremly bold the last couple days. will they lay eggs? what do I do with them?

COBettaCouple
have you seen any different behavior out of your female? if you can divide the gourami & nest from the rest of the tank population, it would help them to lay eggs and have fry, if they're going to.

lilsoccakid
I could put the nest with both gouarmis in the breeding net, but that doesn't sound like a good idea, because I see her getting chased when she goes to close to the nest, and she wouldnt have anywhere to run. I think I should just leave them alone and just hope it works out for them

COBettaCouple
would it be an option to get a tank divider for that tank to give the gourami more room temporarily?

lilsoccakid
I don't think that would be possible, I wouldnt know where to get one. would they be better in my 5 gallon alone?

COBettaCouple
i'm not sure, since they'd be a little crowded but would have more peace to spawn.. I think it's pretty much an even trade off.

lilsoccakid
I just saw them nder the bubble nest. they were like wrapped in eachother like a bal for like 15 seconds, was this mating?

COBettaCouple
it does sound a lot like 'the embrace' that bettas do when the male squeezes the eggs out of the female, then picks up and blows the eggs into the bubble nest. the bettas will do that for hours, i'm not sure with gourami.

I just saw them nder the bubble nest. they were like wrapped in eachother like a bal for like 15 seconds, was this mating?

lilsoccakid
ive seen them do it several times, so the male is squeezing the eggs out of the female, putting them in the nest, and then fertilizing them?

COBettaCouple
yea, I believe that's pretty much the deal. the eggs will be really small probably but you should see them dropping. if all goes well, you'll have fry pretty soon.

ive seen them do it several times, so the male is squeezing the eggs out of the female, putting them in the nest, and then fertilizing them?

lilsoccakid
ill try to find more information on this, I heard without brine shrimp they will all die when born. will they eat the fry? what should I do when the eggs are fertilized?

lilsoccakid
I was just watching, and he was squeezing about 5 dozen out of her each time. tomorro wI'm off to find some fry food!

COBettaCouple
well, you have time to setup a bbs hatchery.

we got 2 of these Brine Shrimp Hatchery Kits:

if you can't find that locally, here is a link to make a DIY hatchery:

the best bbs eggs are:

we got much more bbs out of these than the san francisco bay brand.

lilsoccakid
thank you very much. I also heard of liquid vitamins, but they sell brine shrimp in bags at my LFS, but I wonder if they need to be baby brine shrimp?

Yuni
If you feed brine shrimp to fry then they need to be Baby brine shrimp seeing as fry are so tiny and adult brine shrimp are way bigger then the fry the fry won't be able to eat the brine shrimp. Hope that wasn't confuseing XD good luck on your gouramis ^.^ (I'm planning on maybe getting some soon)

COBettaCouple
liquid vitamins like VitaChem would be great for them and they'll need baby brine shrimp.. they'll be REAL tiny at first and it'll be a month or so at least until you can move them to larger food I think.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LoganKarl
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
yasha
Top Bottom