Dwarf Gourami Mates

1. D

Diego Gomez New Member Member

I'm close to finishing the cycle on my 29g tank...I'm thinking a powder blue dwarf gourami as my centerpiece and would like to know what's a good school of fish to add with it.

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I'd do a stock like this:
    1 dwarf gourami
    1 bolivian ram
    8 black neon tetras
    8 harlequin rasboras
    8 albino cories

3. OP
    OP
    D

I like that maybe replace the bolivian with an electric blue? Or are they as picky as German blue Rams? Will celestial danios be okay with a gourami?

4. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

I would stick to 1 school personally, unless you do 6 of one and maybe 10 of another otherwise it looks like they’re all part of 1 school because they will all be spread out

5. OP
    OP
    D

I was thinking dwarf gourami electric blue maybe like 10-12 of one school and some Cory's. Maybe a pleco. Either Cardinals or celestial for the school .

6. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

You’d have to have a bristlenose as they are one of the smaller plecos you can get but they need wood

7. OP
    OP
    D

Yes. I was thinking an albino bristlenose.. would all those get along?

8. Anders247

BN plecos would need cooler temps than an electric blue ram. How about a clown pleco?
    I wouldn't do CPDs, they need cooler temps as well anyway. Cardinals will work.

9. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

That sounds like a nice stock. In my 20 gallon I have a dwarf gourami with 6 harlequin rasboras, 8 pepper corys and a clown pleco so you could do a similar stock with higher numbers of corys and whatever schooling fish you chose.

10. Anders247

Make sure the cories you get are temp-compatible with the EBR, though. Peppered cories wouldn't be.

Albino, bronze, sterbai, adolfoi, or duplicareus cories would work.