Dwarf Gourami Looking And Behaving Weirdly

1. SpasmaticAA

SpasmaticAA Valued Member Member

I have a dwarf gourami that seems to be behaving oddly. She is always looking up and today seems to be more adrift. She is staying upright however please help. I'll be gone for a couple days so I won't be able to implement these recomendations.

Tank size 15 gallons
    1 full adult female platy and 4 of her one babies large enough to not get eaten.

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Sounds like it could be a swim bladder issue...

3. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

Okay is there anything I can do to help her?

4. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Valued Member Member

Raise the water temperature to 75-80 degrees and feed her boiled peas without the skins.

5. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

I can't rais the temp because the heater is preset to a set temperature but I'll see if I can feed her some boiled peas.

6. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Valued Member Member

Make sure the peas don't have skins on them.

7. kayla.s

Has the situation gotten worse?

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Raise the temp because?

9. kayla.s

Well the tank should be around that temp for a dwarf gourami anyway...

10. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

I tried feeding her peas. The skins were removed but she didn't seem like she wanted to eat them. The temp is in the 75-80 degree range. She also seems to have a foggy white area where her feelers are located and another white area on the side of her. She swims to the surface to get some bubbles but thats about it.

11. DoubleDutch

DG's shouldn't be kept too warm.
    Could you place a.pic.?

12. kayla.s

Another option (if it is indeed a swim bladder issue) would be to fast the fish for 2 days. She'll probably accept the pea after that. What are your water parameters?

13. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

I checked my water parameters a few minutes ago. The nitrates were a little above 40ppm and my nitrates about 1ppm. I added some tetra safe start to try and lower the nitrates. I'll also do a water change as well. I don't know about starving her because my mom told me while I was away that she didn't seem to be eating. Also she also sometimes now lays on her side but usually when I look at her she gets back up and starts swimming.

20170804_151440.jpg 20170804_151435.jpg 20170804_151416.jpg 20170804_151440.jpg 20170804_151435.jpg 20170804_151416.jpg 20170804_151410.jpg

14. DoubleDutch

TSS won't lower nitrates. Or do you meam nitrites ?

15. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

Yep I did mean Nitrites. Sorry kinda stressed out over this right now.

16. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Being in an uncycled tank could be affecting your fish. I would get to that water change now - at least 50% to get the nitrites close to 0. What is the ammonia?

17. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

The tank was cycled. I just think I didn't do a water change and amonia built up and is creating nitrites. I'm not enirely stupid. Sorry for sounding rude. I will do the water change but I'm just letting you know my tank was cycled.

18. el337

No one has said anything to criticize you, we're just trying to help. Maybe you had the tank cycled previously but we don't know the history with your tank, just what you are telling us now.

19. OP
    OP
    SpasmaticAA

Ya sorry for the reaction I do appreciate your guys help.

Oh I also don't have an amonia test kit. Will probably be some time before I can get one.

20. el337

The best thing definitely is to do the water change and to get the ammonia test. You won't know exactly how much more water to change and if you're cycled at all without one. Do you have something to detox the ammonia and nitrite? Seachem Prime would be great to have as a water conditioner because it can bind the ammonia and nitirite up to 1ppm for 24 hours.

Hope your fish gets better.