Dwarf gourami listless

Carolinagirl

One of my dwarf gouramis has become listless. He is not eating. He stays in a low corner. I have had him for 5 months. The other seems ok. 20 gallon tank. Parameters are good. Brown algae problem.

AggressiveAquatics

What does “good” mean for parameters? Do you have exact numbers? What other fish are with him? And what’s the temp? Lower temp can cause inactivity in fish

JettsPapa

If you have two dwarf gouramis together there's a good chance they're both male, and have reached the age where they get aggressive toward other males. It's very possible the listless one is being bullied. Of course there are other possibilities.

Carolinagirl

jinjerJOSH22

Hi

The two very likely issues that could very well be cause for concern are:

keeping Dwarf Gourami with a Betta and..
keeping multiple male Dwarf Gourami.

Both are recipes for disaster and will likely end quite badly. It may very well of been fine for a period of time but as the fish mature things might and likely will become quite volatile. I think it's likely you're seeing some of this now and I imagine it will only get worse.

Carolinagirl

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi

The two very likely issues that could very well be cause for concern are:

keeping Dwarf Gourami with a Betta and..
keeping multiple male Dwarf Gourami.

Both are recipes for disaster and will likely end quite badly. It may very well of been fine for a period of time but as the fish mature things might and likely will become quite volatile. I think it's likely you're seeing some of this now and I imagine it will only get worse.
Thank you. It’s really difficult being a new fish owner. One site specifically said that a pair of dwarf gouramis and a betta would be great tank mates. So that’s why I got them. I have grown to love all of them and I am sad that I am causing them stress.
I think Sunny will probably not make it, and I don’t plan to replace him.

jinjerJOSH22

Carolinagirl said:
Thank you. It’s really difficult being a new fish owner. One site specifically said that a pair of dwarf gouramis and a betta would be great tank mates. So that’s why I got them. I have grown to love all of them and I am sad that I am causing them stress.
I know it's tough being new With so much information saying this and that it can be quite confusing and I genuinely feel for you. Being part of a forum like this can be quite beneficial, so don't be afraid to stick around here and share you fish keeping experience.

You may be able to get hold of a tank(or container) of around 5 gallons, add a heater and sponge filter, this will be perfectly adequate for a Betta long or short term. This can be done relatively inexpensively. If you do do this make sure it has a lid, Bettas are quite good at jumping.

Dwarf Gourami are quite the sad fish in the hobby, often little is mentioned about how aggressive they can be towards conspecifics and how they suffer greatly from overbreeding. They more often than not suffer from serious health issues because of this.

I hope this experience doesn't discourage you, mistakes are part of learning.

JettsPapa

Carolinagirl said:
. . . and I am sad that I am causing them stress.
First, you aren't the cause of their stress. The source of the bad information is the cause of their stress. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Second, Sunny might be okay if you can get him in a tank by himself, but if that isn't possible I won't judge you about it.

jake37

Is sunny the dwarf g. in the corner or the betta ? Putting a betta in a 5 gallon tank is fine but i'm not sure that is large enough for a dwarf g.

Carolinagirl

jake37 said:
Is sunny the dwarf g. in the corner or the betta ? Putting a betta in a 5 gallon tank is fine but i'm not sure that is large enough for a dwarf g.
Sunny is the dwarf g. I have a 20 gallon tank. The betta likes his corner but swims the whole tank.
JettsPapa said:
First, you aren't the cause of their stress. The source of the bad information is the cause of their stress. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Second, Sunny might be okay if you can get him in a tank by himself, but if that isn't possible I won't judge you about it.
I put Sunny in a tank by himself but he’s getting worse.

Latest threads

Top Bottom