Help Dwarf gourami laying on bottom of tank

Ladywithatank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My daughters dwarf gouramI has been acting very off today and laying on the bottom of the tank, I am only new to this and am not very sure why it's happening or how to help him

Water parameters are 25c
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 (looks red in picture because of wood)

Only had him for a week :/

Attachments

OP
L

Ladywithatank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
8 zebra danios
1 more dwarf gouramI (there been no bullying though the other guy stays in the corner at the back and seems fine
Also 1 pygmy corydoras as my LFS only had one and I've got another 5 on order but need to sort this guy out first :/

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ladywithatank said:
8 zebra danios
1 more dwarf gouramI (there been no bullying though the other guy stays in the corner at the back and seems fine
Also 1 pygmy corydoras as my LFS only had one and I've got another 5 on order but need to sort this guy out first :/
The thing is Dwarf GouramI are solitary by nature and they will see other GouramI as threats, even if you haven't seen any bullying it's likely happening, the mere presence of another will likely cause stress and cause one to act subdued.
I would advise separating them even if this isn't the cause because it will likely stop future issues. :)

OP
L

Ladywithatank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
The thing is Dwarf GouramI are solitary by nature and they will see other GouramI as threats, even if you haven't seen any bullying it's likely happening, the mere presence of another will likely cause stress and cause one to act subdued.
I would advise separating them even if this isn't the cause because it will likely stop future issues. :)
So you don't think he is sick just really stressed out? I've been moving the house around since Christmas so don't have my QT running but I might get it set up for him then put him in the 45 once it's finished cycling

I'm planning angels and Bolivian rams in the 45 would he be right to stay with them? If not I've got a 40 in the garage but I don't want him left in that sad place :/

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ladywithatank said:
So you don't think he is sick just really stressed out? I've been moving the house around since Christmas so don't have my QT running but I might get it set up for him then put him in the 45 once it's finished cycling

I'm planning angels and Bolivian rams in the 45 would he be right to stay with them? If not I've got a 40 in the garage but I don't want him left in that sad place :/
I think that stress is the most likely issue.
Dwarf GouramI are renowned for being illness prone due to bad genetics I believe.

I think he'd be alright with the Cichlids but I would ask around about the compatibility of the Cichlids because I don't have experience with them :)

OP
L

Ladywithatank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I think that stress is the most likely issue.
Dwarf GouramI are renowned for being illness prone due to bad genetics I believe.

I think he'd be alright with the Cichlids but I would ask around about the compatibility of the Cichlids because I don't have experience with them :)
Thank you for your help, am currently in the process of setting up the QT/Hospital tank will update later of there is any change

OP
L

Ladywithatank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He has been in his own tank since yesterday and is looking much worse today I guess he was just unhealthy from the start :(

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom