Dwarf Gourami Injuries - How To Help Him Heal?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tanya Farrell, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Tanya FarrellValued MemberMember

my draws gourami I think maybe have been attacked one side he has no fin and on the other side looks like a cut , what can I help him heal thank you

Attached Files:

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

What is the tank size?
    Are there any other fish in the same tank as the gourami?
    The best thing you could do is keep the water quality at its best by doing water changed to help the fin heal. You could also separate the gourami from the other fish.

3. OP
    OP
    T

Tanya FarrellValued MemberMember

Hello it's a 350 liter tank , yes the fish are the same as him with same Tetris and mollies , I do a water change for him every other day , do you know how long is we'll be until he heals ?

4. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Its best to separate (using a tank divider either bought from the LFS or a DIY one) the gourami from the tetras, as some tetras can get nippy with fish with long fins.

5. OP
    OP
    T

Have moved him into another tank for now but that's not my problem at the mo it's the big cut on him in the pictures

6. bopsalot

bopsalotWell Known MemberMember

Can you get a better picture? It's difficult to get a sense of how badly he is injured. Clean water, at the appropriate temperature is usually the best medicine. You could carefully give him a short bath in a small container of methylene blue medicated water as an antiseptic. A series of these baths will help keep the wound clean. But I've never done it before, never had the need to, I've just heard others recommend it, if the injury is severe.

Damaged fins will heal. Missing fins, not so sure about that... what kind of tetras do you keep? Pictures of them? How many do you have. Some tetras become quite nippy if kept in the wrong conditions or if they don't have enough members in their "school". What is the temperature of your tank? Are your mollies all male? Is there another dwarf gourami in there by any chance?

7. OP
    OP
    T

I have four neon Tetris , the mollie are females , there is one other dawf and the bigs one , I have put another picture up , hope it helps , the cut looks very deep

Attached Files:

8. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Are there any decorations in the tank that he could have hurt himself on?

9. OP
    OP
    T

I can't see any , I allways check what I put in first

10. bopsalot

Aha. It's the other dwarf gourami, most likely. You say there's another dwarf and a "big one"? What do you mean? 2 male dwarf gouramis is a common mistake. Don't worry if you tried it. Is the other dwarf gourami also a male? Most DGs sold are males, they are far more brightly colored. Male DG are very intolerant of each other. They are territorial, and have been known to fight with each other, quite commonly.

That's a pretty big tank, and I would expect it to be big enough for 2 male DGs, provided they had enough plants and hardscape to have their own territories. But a big tank is no guarantee. I would think about moving one of your dwarf gouramis out of the tank.

11. OP
    OP
    T

There have been together since I brought them , both males , they have been in the tank together for about 8 months only now something is going on , I have 2 big gourami that have been in the tank together with them for 8 months , I can't understand all of them have been together for 8 months now something isn't right :/

12. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

male dwarf gourami's usually can't live together. When they sexually mature they will fight. Apparently you were safe before sexual maturity and now, not so much.

13. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

It really doesn't matter how long they were together, at some point they will start to fight until one is dead.

14. bopsalot

Agreed with James17. It's very, very likely your 2 male dwarf gouramis decided they couldn't live together anymore.

For the wounded fish you have some options. Melafix, salt baths, methylene blue. Clean water. He probably should be properly quarantined. By himself. In good conditions. It's hard to see how badly injured he is, though. The pictures just don't show it. Good luck, I hope he feels better soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice