Dwarf Gourami In 10 Gallon Tank?

1. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

Can I keep 1 dwarf gourami in a ten gallon by itself (no other tank mates)?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would recommend a 20 long minimum for a DG so I would say no. Sparkling gourami could fit though.

3. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

I kept a dwarf gourami in a ten gallon with a school of neon tetras and 2 bn plecos. I had no problems though I do admit I was overstocked and it was temporary until I upgraded.

4. OP
    OP
    Little John

will it work permanently?

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would recommend against it.

6. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

I agree. Mine was surviving in the 10 but once I put him in the 29 he became so much more active.

7. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

I have 2 in my 55G. And the one neon DG likes to pace once in a while (like my guppy fry like to surf the filter intake). I think he really enjoys having the 98cm length to cruise in. The rest of the time he can be found pecking at the stones or sometimes hiding away completely until I come and sit by his tank, then he comes out waiting for a pest-snail snack. So yeah, 10G would really cramp a DG.

-G

8. OP
    OP
    Little John

My friend's dad had 2 in a ten gallon and they lived for years.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah right.

10. Tripp_theBetta

Tripp_theBetta New Member Member

I personally had two gourami in a 30 gallon and one gourami in a 10 gallon, and yes the one on his own was always a happy fish but he still became much more active and social once he was moved to a 30 gallon himself

Also petco is having their dollar per gallon sale right now I believe if you are willing to get a tank just for your new pal

11. 1

123 Valued Member Member

Maybe a Honey Gourami male? :) They have beautiful vibrant color :)

12. OP
    OP
    Little John

I don't have a Petco near me where I live.

13. Tripp_theBetta

Tripp_theBetta New Member Member

Sorry about that the sale also applies when shopping online if that helps at all

14. OP
    OP
    Little John

Ok thanks but my parents say I'm not allowed to buy any more tanks for a while because I bought 2 in a week.

15. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Just because they are living doesn't mean they are thriving, happy or even in good condition. The color of the gourami can tell that.

16. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Some people keep 2 goldfish in a bowl for years.

17. OneLittleBubble

Awwww I feel so bad they probably are severely stunted and in bad condition

18. OP
    OP
    Little John

If I cant get a DG, do any of you have a suggestion for a biggish fish for a ten gallon(it would live alone)?

19. OneLittleBubble

Hahaha that's what I wanted to do like a week ago, I ended up getting a betta because in a 10 gallon you can't really get much

20. RyRyTheAquariumGuy

RyRyTheAquariumGuy Valued Member Member

I have much experience with dwarf gouramis and gouramis in general... (one of the rare times I know something LOL)

I relate them to a betta fish... Here is what I mean. (This does not refer to everyone, I have just found many people make these assumptions in my time in the fish hobby.) In my humble opinion...

1. People assume they are not heavy swimmers and are WRONG.
    2. People assume they have to be alone due to aggression.
    3. People assume that they can do fine in small spaces due to the first two statements.

The truth is that the dwarf gourami is a fish with a naturally weak immune system due to human overbreeding and fighting nature. Therefore they need low stress to do well.

A 20 long is perfect to showcase a single dwarf gourami with a few other smaller fish.

I highly recommend against putting two or more males together as one will have to submit to the other because they are territorial against each other. The one that submits will eventually die and live a crappy life. This is a truth of nature and behavior.

I have kept DG's in a 10 and in a 20, and the difference is AMAZING! My DG's color and behavior is so bubbly and amazing he is my centerpiece and everyone loves him.

Give a DG the right setup and territorial hierarchy in a tank that is about 20 gallons or more, and he will thrive.

They get along with most all community fish except their own, it all depends on the set up of the tank. (cover, swimming levels of fish, feeding schedule, etc).

When a DG is happy he will zip around the tank like a rocket and his colors will shine. Just be careful and TREAT WITH MEDS FOR EVERY DG YOU GET PLEASE!! They are SO prone to disease they are one of the few fish that I highly recommend treating with a baseline of anti bacterial, anti parasites, and anti ich.

One DG can move into your new tank and infect the whole thing. It's not the fish's fault, it's the human breeding habits that have rapidly weakened this fish.