Dwarf Gourami --- how much to feed?

AnonymousCatfish
Hello Fishlore members,
I bought a REALLY cute neon - red dwarf gourami 2 days ago and he was eating the first day. I heard that that was good as it means he was settled in. When I bought him he was in a tank with about 10 other gouramis, dwarf and normal, and there was clearly a hierarchy happening. Don't no if this helps but it this can lead anything wrong let me know

I have a 60 litre / 2 foot tank and it is stocked with him, 2 bristlenose catfish, 3 cardinal tetras and one persistent rasbora. I fed him flakes but just realized that being a larger fish and he reminded me of discus, that maybe he needed something else.

How much do I feed him?
What do I feed him, I read somewhere about bloodworms, but is that okay for my other fish?

Also I saw him try to eat a really small snail (see through) about 3 times but he spat them back out. Do DG's eat snails? Do they eat the flesh and then spit out the shell?

If he does that would be REALLY helpful, also I have a lot of snails as I have a lot of plants>

P.S there is a lot of spaces to hide in but he normally just hides when he sees something new. E.g. a toothbrush (trying to get every minture to stare at him) but then after about 1 min, 30 seconds he comes out and looks to see if it is food.

P.P.S he is always looking for food

Fettuccini
It's pretty normal for gouramis to be territorial like that, since they aren't a social fish, so its good that you only got one for a tank that size. Gouramis don't normally eat snails, so I wouldn't expect him to keep them in control or consider them part of his diet. If you do want to keep pest snails in check, I'd recommend getting 2 or 3 assassin snails, they'll do a better job than anything else.

Your gourami should be fine on flakes, but it's good for any fish to give them other stuff a couple times a week. Frozen foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, or daphnia are all good, and frozen food will help bring out the colors in all your fish. Freeze dried food should be avoided. As a general rule, you should feed your fish what they can eat in about 2 minutes and remove any leftovers so it doesn't foul your water.

Bristlenose plecos should be fed fresh veggies daily too, but your tank is on the small side for them, especially two.

Tetras are schooling fish that need to be in groups of 6 or more, so I'd suggest getting a few more if you can. The same goes for the rasboras, but I'm not sure that tank is big enough for both schools along with the gourami.

Besides that it sounds like everything is going pretty well so far. It's normal for dwarf gouramis to be a little shy, especially when they're new, so I wouldn't worry about that much for now.

AnonymousCatfish
Thanks for the reply!
It is a shame my LFS does not has assasin snails but I will have a look else where.

I'll try the bloodworms, are they expensive? Do yo keep them in the fridge?

I am a real sucker for bristlenose and my LFS said they would be okay.... I fed them veggies as well

Rasboras... hmm. There used to be heaps but then 2 waves of white spot came and decimated them and the tetras. Imma waiting (dont tell him) for the last one to be flushed as he is quite old. He's schooling with the tetras.

I love my DG he is jut like a puppy

Fettuccini
Frozen food usually isn't expensive, and a pack will last you a good while with your amount of fish. Keep it in the freezer, not the fridge. When you feed them, just break off the amount you need and thaw it in some tank water for about 5 minutes before putting it in the tank (I use an old measuring cup for that.) It's not good for the fish to eat it cold, and it expands as it thaws, which can hurt the fish and cause digestive problems.

I had the same thing happen to me with some rainbow fish as your rasboras, the last one hangs out with my ember tetras now. It sucks, but it happens.

AnonymousCatfish
Thanks....
How long do you think my bristlenose have? Right now I am trying to save up for a 120L tank but my uppers are not quite sure as they are worried about it breaking. Really, it is not going to break! The tank I am looking at has almost 1 inch glass XD
One is a male, 8 - 10cm, and the other is female, 6 - 7. Approximates as I measured them about 2 months mebe ago. Mebe one month so just adding a bit
Thanks

Fettuccini
They should be fine for a while if you're getting a bigger tank (I think that's a 30 gallon, which would be perfect.) Just be sure you have good filtration and keep up on your water changes, since plecos produce a LOT of waste. One thing I'd be worried about is them spawning in that tank, since they're about the right size and bristlenoses can be pretty prolific breeders.

If it helps, you can always tell them how a bigger tank is easier to maintain, so you're less likely to lose fish.

AnonymousCatfish
Thanks. I am trying really hard to convince them as the tank is on sale and comes with the cabinet and filter!
LOL about the breeding cause they just finished about 1 month ago whilst I was away and some uppers took care of them. Freaked them out because my guy was fanning (they did not know that) and they aint see him much XD

Also they get to about 12cm so I am really excited.
I have 3 more (XD) in another 20L tank. I know this is REALLY small but 2 are just babies. And the third mebe a teenager.

I gave 11 of the babies to the LFS and as I wanted to keep one, I added another because I thought I might have crushed one of the poor little guys as I had to move the driftwood.

Moving him on soon.

I like your idea about how to convince them And others????

P.S might have to write a whole letter in persuasion like what I was taught ages ago XD

Fettuccini
Well, if you move them into a 30g, you can always use the tank you have now to raise pleco fry and sell them off when they're big enough.

AnonymousCatfish
ok
How long does it take to set up a 120L tank, as in cycle it from when I first run it
I just was thunking that it mighta take longer???

Fettuccini
It won't take long at all. You already have a cycled filter, so when tou move your fish, you should run that one on the new tank alongside the new filter, or just transfer the filter media into the new filter (along with the new filter media) to seed it. Youll have an instant cycle, and after a couple weeks you can take the old stuff out.

AnonymousCatfish
Can I just wait for it to cycle? How long does it take? I don't want to take any chances as Jack (DG), Oscar, James, Lewis and Harlequinn (bristlenose) are the best thing that ever happened to me. Oscar jsut turned 1, yesterday and we had a big party
I love them so much!
Jack was just meant for some added colour and fill in the water but he is like a puppy dog to me and I love him.

If anything happens to them I don't know what I'll do

Fettuccini
Yeah you can do that too, but it will take much longer. You can still speed it up by rinsing your old filter media into your new one to seed it. Then just cycle it like normal with an ammonia source, testing daily until it's good.

AnonymousCatfish
Ammonia source?

DoubleDutch
They need some algae / blanched lettuce or spinach in their diet as well. Only (high) protein food makes them bloat.

Timi
An ammonia source is anything like food or plant matter that will break down over time (when food or dead plants rot away it produces ammonia, much like fish waste,) ammonia is toxic to fish but when cycling a tank there will always be an ammonia spike due to the sudden build up of ammonia, once the readings of your test kit are constantly 0 for ammonia after that spike (and all your other parameters like ph are stable) you can consider the tank cycled and ready for fish.
To speed up the process you can use filter media, water, substrate, and decor from your old tank, and/or use things like filter start.

AnonymousCatfish
Hiya DoubleDutch
Is this the DG or my bristles??
I feed my bristles blanched zucchinI (now) everyday

DoubleDutch
Hiya DoubleDutch
Is this the DG or my bristles??
I feed my bristles blanched zucchinI (now) everyday
The DG (and the BN)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies