Dwarf Gourami Help?

Louise123

Reaction score
Came back from holiday this weekend and one of my dwarf gourami's has developed three lighter coloured marks on it's head and just to the side of it's head. Any ideas of what it could be? The fish is still eating normally but it seems to be hiding a little. Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

64l tank, artificial plants and some driftwood
2 corys, 3 dwarf gouramis, 3 torpedo barbs, 1 zebra danio, 4 harlequin rasboras and 1 hillstream loach
Temp: 26C
NO3: 25-50
NO2: 0
KH: 6-10
pH:7
Cl2: 0

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them.

It could be injury from aggression or lesions from dwarf gourami iridovirus.

Louise123

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply. What are my stocking issues? What would be your recommendations? I understand that iridovirus is incurable - is there any chance it could be fungal? Or something I can treat using medicine? Or is it looking likely that it could be the onset of iridovirus? I have had these gouramis for almost a year - does iridovirus only show symptoms after a while? Thank you again for your help!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately your tank is much too small for all of the fish you have. I'd definitely rehome the torpedo barbs (they get large and need a 4 ft tank) and the hillstream loach (they need a specialized setup). Rasbora, danios, and cories should be in groups of 6+ of their own species, but you may not have enough room for them in this tank.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

I'd definitely rehome two dwarf gouramis - males will bully or kill each other if they're in the same tank. Females are a dull silverish and very uncommon, so you likely have males.

Fungal infections are often secondary to bacterial infections or a result of something like poor water quality. Is there any way you can test for ammonia? I don't think it's fungal though. Iridovirus can show up later, especially when the fish is stressed (as they likely are from the improper stocking).

I would also consider getting a liquid test kit - more accurate than strips, and cheaper per test (and it tests for ammonia).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom