Dwarf Gourami harassing my Platys

YoungClayB
Hey guys. About 4-5 days ago, I added a Dwarf Gourami and a Rubber Lipped Pleco to my 10 gallon tank that previously only had 2 female Platys in it. The Pleco is doing great - mostly just hanging out under his log, but I am a little worried about the way the DG is behaving. He seems to be chasing and charging at the Platys. The Platys are obviously trying to stay out of his way, but the DG goes out of his way to bully and harass the Platys.

Is this normal? Will it get better over time? Will this behavior stress my Platys out or does it keep them from being bored? Is there any chance that the DG will actually harm my Platys?

I am trying to decide whether I need to return the DG to PetSmart or keep him.

For reference, here is a pic of my setup:

Shawnie
I personally would return him....10g is too small for the plec and your DG

YoungClayB
The Pleco is definitely not going back. He is happy as a lark in his new home. Plus, he is one of the most quirky and entertaining fishes I've ever seen. He is hilarious. As he gets bigger, I'll move him to a bigger tank. I am already thinking about a 55 or a 90.

As far as the DG goes, I realize that 10 gallons is pushing it, but I bought him knowing this already. The feedback I am looking for here is regarding his behavior and the safety of my Platys.

using Tapatalk

TmacD
As far as the DG goes, I realize that 10 gallons is pushing it, but I bought him knowing this already. The feedback I am looking for here is regarding his behavior and the safety of my Platys.

And that's the feedback you got. Dgs are territorial to start with let alone living in a tin can with a couple platies and a pleco. I would say that he will chill out as it goes along but frankly he's going to be fighting the other fish for space. When I bought a pleco it tripled in size within the first month. I'm on my third dg and don't get me wrong....they're one of my favorite fish, but speaking as someone who has both a dg and platies(with they're insane manner) it's going to be an isuue. With that being said, the more space you provide the less direct contact your fish will have.

It's good to be thinking about where you want your hobby to go. The bigger you go, the exponentially more expense it gets. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope everything works out.

gourami88
I agree with the above. DG's can be quite the territorial little buggers ( I know this from experience) and i've never kept them in anything less than a 20g. because of this. HI'm chasing the platys is almost certainly aggression over space, which there isn't enough of. I have heard of people keeping them successfully in 10g. tanks, but only as a single fish, or with bottom dwellers like cories or otos. It is amazing how much you can reduce their aggression by giving them more space though. My flame DG is in a 20g. with neon tetras and a couple male guppies and hasn't shown any signs of aggression (and i've never found fish with nipped or damamged fins/bodies).

As for the pleco, unless you intend to upgrade to a much larger tank within 2-3 weeks I would suggest taking him back. He may seem happy but you could be severly stunting his growth if he isn't placed in a bigger tank soon, which will ultimately shorten his lifespan and can lead to other health problems.

Heather12404
I have a 29G and my DG will harass my platy any chance he gets. He just doesn't like the platy for whatever reason. He's also chasing (a little bit) my 3 news rams. My DG name is Bob and he's a butthead. He's gorgeous and I love his personality...he's just a snot to some of my fish. He's fine with: harlequin rasboras, orange flame tetras, panda cories, mystery snails, and my dwarf crayfish. He totally ignores everyone on that list.
I would say the 10G is way too small for a DG.
I think I remember reading somewhere that a honey gourami can do well in a 10G. If I'm wrong hopefully someone will chime in and correct me.
I think this link is awesome:
If members disagree with the info on that link I hope they say so.
I'm no expert...just sharing my experience.

Migz...
Hey, welcome fellow newbie.
I have 2 golden, or honey DGs, a pearl gourami (beautiful fish)
Some platys and some mollies.
If anything, out of that group, the pearl gourami is a bit bossy and territorial.
Everybody socializes with him, and he dosen't throw his weight around, (to much)
They're in a 20 gal tall for now. Like us that have distinct personalities.
More space might promote better harmony, (I think, anyway)
Good luck with everything.
I posted something simular, "GREEDY LIL' MOLLY" and they lerned to get along.
Hey guys. About 4-5 days ago, I added a Dwarf Gourami and a Rubber Lipped Pleco to my 10 gallon tank that previously only had 2 female Platys in it. The Pleco is doing great - mostly just hanging out under his log, but I am a little worried about the way the DG is behaving. He seems to be chasing and charging at the Platys. The Platys are obviously trying to stay out of his way, but the DG goes out of his way to bully and harass the Platys.

Is this normal? Will it get better over time? Will this behavior stress my Platys out or does it keep them from being bored? Is there any chance that the DG will actually harm my Platys?

I am trying to decide whether I need to return the DG to PetSmart or keep him.

For reference, here is a pic of my setup:

YoungClayB
Thanks everyone for the input.

josh7
I would upgrade within a month for the pleco and I agree to rehome the dwarf gourami.

e_watson09
Some DGs are just nasty little bugars. Which is why I probably will never buy one. Also thinking about a new tank and actually planning on a new tank are two completely different things and when you buy a fish that will (or probably already is) too big for a tank a new tank needs to basically be on its way and starting to cycle. I would just rehome both the pleco and the DG and maybe get a female DG or maybe a trio of sparkling gourami instead, or maybe even a honey gourami. You can always buy another pleco when you have the proper tank size for him.

Also another question, are you sure this is a 10 gallon? Idk why but it just looks super small compared to mine. Almost looks like a 5.5 to me, not sure why. I know that thermometer is almost 4" if its anything like mine which makes it seem like its only 10" tall or so which is a 5.5 gallon deminsion. I could be completely wrong but my 10 just looks huge compared to it.

YoungClayB
It's definitely a 10 gallon. Maybe it just looks small because of the rocks and driftwood? I dunno. Anyways, it's a 10 gallon.

I am really wishing that I had started with a 20 gallon kit, but going from 10 to 20 at this point just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. :-/

The DG (Tom) is getting along MUCH better with my Platys now. He isn't charging at them anymore. It's actually kind of entertaining to watch. The rock cave is Tom's house and the Platys respect this for the most part except when they playfully try to sneak past him. The dynamic has definitely improved.

I don't really understand all the worries about the Pleco (Timmy)??? I mean he is less than 2 inches long and based on what I've read, he will only get to be about 4 inches as an adult. I agree that a 4 inch fish is way too big for a 10 gallon tank but it's going to take some time before he even gets to 2.5 or 3 inches. He isn't a big swimmer, he just sort of hangs out under his log and then comes out at night to explore and eat. He seems very happy. What is the real reason everyone is telling me to get rid of him? I just don't understand how his current living conditions would harm him in any way.

using Tapatalk

jdhef
It's not a metter of getting rid of your Pleco, it's just that he isn't suited to your tank for a couple of reasons.

One, if a fish is in an environment that is to small for it, the fish will stop growing and become stunted. Some people say that the outside of the fish stops growing, but the internal organs keep growing cauing pain and eventually death. I don't know if that is true or not, but being stunted just doen't seem like a good think no matter what.

The other problem is that Plecos are huge waste produces. And as you know the more waste, the more ammonia, the more nitrites and finally the more nitrates. There is a good chance that your filter will not hold enough bacteria to process all that ammonia and nitrite leading to potentually deadly spikes. And even if it can keep up, you canb be forced into doing several partial water changes a week to keep the nitrates down.

People here just want what is best for your fish. And if getting a larger tank is out of the question, then they feel the next best thing for your fish would be to rehome it somewhere better suited.

e_watson09
It's definitely a 10 gallon. Maybe it just looks small because of the rocks and driftwood? I dunno. Anyways, it's a 10 gallon.

I am really wishing that I had started with a 20 gallon kit, but going from 10 to 20 at this point just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. :-/

The DG (Tom) is getting along MUCH better with my Platys now. He isn't charging at them anymore. It's actually kind of entertaining to watch. The rock cave is Tom's house and the Platys respect this for the most part except when they playfully try to sneak past him. The dynamic has definitely improved.

I don't really understand all the worries about the Pleco (Timmy)??? I mean he is less than 2 inches long and based on what I've read, he will only get to be about 4 inches as an adult. I agree that a 4 inch fish is way too big for a 10 gallon tank but it's going to take some time before he even gets to 2.5 or 3 inches. He isn't a big swimmer, he just sort of hangs out under his log and then comes out at night to explore and eat. He seems very happy. What is the real reason everyone is telling me to get rid of him? I just don't understand how his current living conditions would harm him in any way.

using Tapatalk

I say rehome him due to the fact that a 10 gallon imo isn't big enough for the fish's adult size AS WELL AS the fact that rubber lips I have heard like space at night to explore and eat. A ten just doesn't offer that kind of space.

LyndaB
Fishkeeping is all about giving the fish what they need, it's not really about what we want at all.

If you cannot provide for a species, you don't have it. It's pretty simple.

There are so many fish I would have, if I could keep them correctly. But I can't. So I do without.

My husband lost a pleco to stunted growth. It's really not fair to the fish. Bring him back.

soltarianknight
I would like to jut in here on something, A DG can be kept easily in a 10gal tank. ALONE. That being said a 20gal does suit them much more and a 29 seems to calm them down. He may act buddy buddy one day and the next day you have dead platy, it may be tomarrow, next week, next month or in 2 years, they are completley unpredictable and at no point should guard be let down. Dg like other territorial fish simply tolerate other fish in their territory, my DG was in a 10 when I first started, he took out seveal black neon tetras easy after 5 months of getting along. Rubberlip plecos span between 4-10" depending on species. He won't grow in that 10gal, his insides will and it will hurt him, he will die suffering a very slow and terrible death. I can only ask that you please rehome him or return him, I cannot make you do anything, none of us can. We are here because we care for the fish, we have all done this before, we were all new to the hobby once.

YoungClayB
Alright guys. Going this afternoon to pick up a 37 gallon setup. Thanks again for everyone's input. This is big enough right?

using Tapatalk

Akari_32
Yes, 37 gallons will be big enough

Now you can have schooling fish! Neon Tetras would look great against your Powdered Blue DG ;D

Jaysee
What is the real reason everyone is telling me to get rid of him?

We just don't want you to have the fish

Akari_32
We just don't want you to have the fish

Don't listen to him, Clay, he's crazy ;D

We just don't want your cute fishies to be unhappy.

As the care takers of these animals, its our responsibility to be sure that what we are going is humane and in the best interest of them. You wouldn't keep a baby, or a puppy, shoved up in a closet with venomous snakes, would you?

konstargirl
Glad that you are going for a upgrade. I will hate for you to rehome him because pets are FOR LIFE!

YoungClayB
Thank you Craigslist. $55 for all this plus about 50lb of gravel!!!!

using Tapatalk

soltarianknight
VERY NICE! also, before any off things happen, plecos+driftwood= helthy pleco . because it just happened in another thread I'm adding it to one of my prewarning with plecos, they normally do very well when they have drfitwood to munch on, it helps them digest all the food they eat.

gourami88
Glad you were able to get a bigger aquarium (very nice BTW). And sorry if you felt anyone wanted you to get rid of the fish. That is never the case, we just want the fish to be happy and healthy. They may seem fine for a while, but if their needs are met (such as being in a tank that is too small) it will lead to health problems and nobody wants you to have to go through losing a fish. We all know how not-fun that can be and would like to spare you this.

TmacD
Is that a 55 gallon tall? Interesting shape. I'm curious as to the dimensions. Might be something I can keep my eye out for. I lack the space for a normal 55.

gourami88
Is that a 55 gallon tall? Interesting shape. I'm curious as to the dimensions. Might be something I can keep my eye out for. I lack the space for a normal 55.

You never lack the space...you just have to make some tough choices. Do I want a 55 gallon and sleep on the floor next to it or do I want to sleep in a bed? Do I like having this long kitchen counter or can I make due with the 1' space between the fridge and the stove? LOL I can rationalize ANYTHING when it comes to fishies!

YoungClayB

Nope, its a 37 gallon tank. 30" x 12" x 22"

55 is the number of dollars that I paid for it

Speedy
It sure is hard to give up one of our fish when we like them that is for sure I have been there. I'm so glad you didn't have to.

I'm also happy for you that you found a bigger tank but I have to mention this I just recently went and bought a Dwarf Grourami to and she is in a 10 gallon but before I get in trouble.... She will be going into a 44 gallon in about 2 weeks. Nice tank...;D

If your Dwarf Gourami happens to start his bad behavior again you could take him back and get a female they are not as aggressive or territorial when kept by themselves. There own kind that is.

Mine is with and very small Otto and 2 Long Fin Serpae tetras and she is getting along with them just fine except sometimes not much though she will see the Otto and peak at it sometimes but I think that is normal. Good luck I hope he stays settled down so you can keep him.

YoungClayB
Yeah. Contingency plan is to move him back to the 10 gallon all by himself if he keeps it up. Solitary confinement.

Also thinking of getting an angel for the new tank. I understand that they like tall tanks. Hearing mixed reviews on how they jive with DGs though. Based on what I've read, it sounds like they will do just fine together as long as the angel is young and small when introduced to a community containing a DG....any opinions out there on this pairing?

using Tapatalk

Speedy
Yeah. Contingency plan is to move him back to the 10 gallon all by himself if he keeps it up. Solitary confinement.

Also thinking of getting an angel for the new tank. I understand that they like tall tanks. Hearing mixed reviews on how they jive with DGs though. Based on what I've read, it sounds like they will do just fine together as long as the angel is young and small when introduced to a community containing a DG....any opinions out there on this pairing?

using Tapatalk

That's funny.... I have done that before but for me it didn't help. They stayed mean.

Angels are so pretty I had some in my 44 gallon tall but I got tired of angles fighting all the time and mating. Heck even the babies where mean they fought when they where tiny little things. So I wanted a peaceful tank. I had enough of that but your right they do like tall tanks.

But I have to say I had one very sweet silver angelfish when I lived at home along time ago and she didn't bother anything but I never had a Gourami in there with her so I don't know how that would pan out.

I don't know if that will work b/c angelfish when they are adults they can be aggressive especially during mating and having eggs. But to it also depends on how many you get. I think to since you have an aggressive Gourami and you get an aggressive angelfish it could be a disaster. But I have read that some people can.

I wished I could have been more help. I'm sure someone else that has a lot of experience with keeping these 2 fish together will help.

soltarianknight
I think aslong as you give them both enough room for their individual territories then it may work. But a 55-75 may be in store.

YoungClayB
......But a 55-75 may be in store.

Nooooooo!!!!!

Seriously, this upgrade is IT for at least a couple of years if I want to stay married. LOL

soltarianknight
lol oh well. No angle and DG for you I suppose XP.

YoungClayB
Well. I got my 4 fishies transferred to their new home last night. Everyone seems really happy - especially Timmy the Pleco. He seems much more comfortable in the bigger tank and isn't nearly as shy and skittish as he was in the 10g.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say, and looking back on it, I cannot believe how overstocked my 10 gallon was. Sorry if I was resistant at first to your suggestions but that resistance was more from a financial perspective than anything else. I am really glad I was able to find such a deal on Craigslist. I did end up having to buy a heater and my son was a little nervous using the big bucket 'o gravel that the fellow included with the tank so we had to buy that too. But all in all, it didn't break the bank.

Here are some pics:

using Tapatalk

e_watson09
Looks nice

YoungClayB
Looks nice

Thanks e.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I should put in the aquarium with these guys? I definitely do not want to make another mistake.

Right now I have:
2 Sunset Platys (both female)
1 DG (male)
1 RL Pleco (?)

Akari_32
I think let the tank be for a few months. Then, a large school of Neons would accent your current stock nicely

soltarianknight
Aside from the ever so borin neons(pokes akarI XD) there are also a range of schooling fish you can add. you could go for a school of corydora and a middle range schooler(neons, danio, barbs and such) the only hesitation with small fish like neons is if the 3spots turn on them. They won't stand a chance.

Akari_32
DG, Sol, not Three Spot lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dovah
Replies
Views
Vasalissa
Top Bottom