Dwarf Gourami Gravid?

BEAM1080

Reaction score
I don't even know if it's a female. But she isn't happy right now. Color looks good. So my first guess is she is full of eggs and no Male to build a bubble nest. Any thoughts?? See picture.

Attachments

OP
B

BEAM1080

Reaction score
That's what I always called it. When a female is full of eggs and there are no males. They get all fat and have no where to put the eggs. But I'm not sure with this one. Because I have no experience with gourami. I'm hoping it's that. Because if not. Then she is sick. Or he?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope, that's male. Too colorful. However the dorsal confuses me. Anyway, the fish is bloated. Even if it was female the egg area isn't in that shape. PascalKrypt

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a male. Looks like its bloated. I'd start off by fasting for a few days. If push comes to shove daphnia or even peas can be used to help things along. Hopefully that's all, and try to feed less.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Nope, that's male. Too colorful. However the dorsal confuses me. Anyway, the fish is bloated. Even if it was female the egg area isn't in that shape. PascalKrypt
Fin shape isn’t a good way of telling Dwarf GouramI as males can have quite rounded fins. Colour is the best way.

100% male, I’d test to see if there’s issues with water quality and do what Feohw

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Fin shape isn’t a good way of telling Dwarf GouramI as males can have quite rounded fins. Colour is the best way.

100% male, I’d test to see if there’s issues with water quality and do what Feohw
Ah, good to know. I knew that it was male anyways

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even so, that dorsal is very much that of a male. Females won't be that pointy.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Feohw said:
Even so, that dorsal is very much that of a male. Females won't be that pointy.
Yeah. It was just sorta round so that threw me off. I knew that it was male because of the colors anyways.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just a couple of examples of Dwarf GouramI dorsal.
The first 2 are females

891313A9-ABF4-406C-9248-17A29B0513F2.jpeg
72AB7346-70EE-4948-80BE-925E7BFEF93C.jpeg

and this is a young male
E9EA6B09-15A3-4AC9-9F00-384F3718302F.jpeg

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Just a couple of examples of Dwarf GouramI dorsal.
The first 2 are females

891313A9-ABF4-406C-9248-17A29B0513F2.jpeg
72AB7346-70EE-4948-80BE-925E7BFEF93C.jpeg

and this is a young male
E9EA6B09-15A3-4AC9-9F00-384F3718302F.jpeg
kk. Good to know.

OP
B

BEAM1080

Reaction score
Feohw said:
That's a male. Looks like its bloated. I'd start off by fasting for a few days. If push comes to shove daphnia or even peas can be used to help things along. Hopefully that's all, and try to feed less.
Dont think he is going to make it. I never overfeed. But I cut back anyhow. He stopped eating days ago but yet keeps getting bigger. He is at the top today and I don't even know how to help him. Even if I knew. I don't think I can stop it. All the other fish in that tank are healthy. It looks like he is going to burst today. I feel terrible.

OP
B

BEAM1080

Reaction score
I got it at Petco. My research tells me it's a weaken immune system from over breeding. Since all the other species are fine. And the water tested perfectly. I'm going to have to chalk it up to genetics and avoid buying this species at Petco moving forward. Still praying for a miracle 180.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BEAM1080 said:
I got it at Petco. My research tells me it's a weaken immune system from over breeding. Since all the other species are fine. And the water tested perfectly. I'm going to have to chalk it up to genetics and avoid buying this species at Petco moving forward. Still praying for a miracle 180.
Sorry to hear. If its down to genetics then that's very unfortunate. But all too common with DG it seems. I find its best to treat it as though its something that can be helped though on the off chance that its not down to genetics, rather something such as bloat. An epsom bath could be used in that case if he's still around.

OP
B

BEAM1080

Reaction score
It's the saddest thing I have ever seen. He is still alive but so bloated he keeps going belly up. He is actually in good condition besides the bloating. Color is great. Still gets excited when he sees me. The bloating is getting worse even though he hasn't eaten. No other fish sick in that tank. I don't want to give up on him. But
its breaking my freaking heart. I feel helpless. There are no factors that could have caused this. If its genetics. There is no fix but a slow death of my buddy. Looking for last minitue options. Is it worth trying?

OP
B

BEAM1080

Reaction score
jinjerJOSH22 said:

Water is perfect in every way. All other species are doing great. I have 5 tanks and test water weekly with normal water changes. New to Gourami. Never in my life have a had a fish bloat like this and stay healthy and strong. It's really hard to handle. I almost want to put a pin in him and deflate him. Like when you catch a walleye down 100 feet. But I don't think its air in there.

OP
B

BEAM1080

Reaction score
Feohw said:
Sorry to hear. If its down to genetics then that's very unfortunate. But all too common with DG it seems. I find its best to treat it as though its something that can be helped though on the off chance that its not down to genetics, rather something such as bloat. An epsom bath could be used in that case if he's still around.
I'm ready to try anything.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s really hard to say because it involves a life but he looks too far gone :(

I personally think it would be best to end both your suffering.
PascalKrypt sorry.

New Threads