Dwarf gourami Glass Surfing

SadSoyBeans

Hi,
I recently got back into keeping fish and with that i set a 10g back up. I purchased a dwarf gourami from my lfs to temporarily house it in there with plans to move it into my 29g tank once it got set up. The tank is not cycled but I'm monitoring the levels of ammonia in the tank with a test kit and it is always rather low, and I combat it with frequent water changes. The temp is set to 76 degrees and the thermometer agrees with that. But my gourami is always glass surfing, is that just because hes new to the environment and I'm overthinking it or could you guys point anything out to me. Physically he appears healthy as well.

Thanks for the help.

Passionfish

SadSoyBeans said:
Hi,
I recently got back into keeping fish and with that i set a 10g back up. I purchased a dwarf gourami from my lfs to temporarily house it in there with plans to move it into my 29g tank once it got set up. The tank is not cycled but I'm monitoring the levels of ammonia in the tank with a test kit and it is always rather low, and I combat it with frequent water changes. The temp is set to 76 degrees and the thermometer agrees with that. But my gourami is always glass surfing, is that just because hes new to the environment and I'm overthinking it or could you guys point anything out to me. Physically he appears healthy as well.

Thanks for the help.
Glass surfing could also mean boredom... My dwarf gourami lives in a 36 gallon and was glass surfing when I first got him, so it could be just that he is new.

ahouseofscales

SadSoyBeans said:
Hi,

Thanks for the help.
How many decorations do you have in the tank? Glass surfing is typically a sign of either stress or boredom, and it is especially common in anabantids. You can add more decorations to hide in, and you could also try covering some sides of the tank to make him feel more secure.

Papasmerf73

I noticed it a lot with my Honey Gourami at first and even my sterbai cories. But it has calmed down considerably. I think they just need time to settle. It is upsetting when I see it though. Interestingly my Rasboras do it EVERY time I do a water change for a few hours. It should get better, just keep an eye on the tank parameters as it's cycling. I also only seem to hear horror stories about dwarf gouramis that's why I chose the honey instead.

Madchild57

SadSoyBeans said:
Hi,

Thanks for the help.
Yeah if he's totally alone it may be boredom. If it was a honey gourami or a more peaceful species I would say get another one to keep it company.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom