Dwarf gourami gender and new tank set up

Flameandneon

I don’t know if this is the right spot to post this, if not feel free to move it. I got dwarf gouramis 2 days ago, and i bought 2 after hearing they do better in pairs. i apologize for the pictures, i have a light coming tomorrow haha. I was wondering about their gender. Also, i notice the flame follows the neon around all the time, quite closely. The neon’s a bit smaller and i was wondering if there might be a bullying issue? I don’t see nipping whenever im down there. They are in a tank with 8 zebra danios, a 20 gal. Its cycling rn with a precycled filter. I’m dosing prime as well. They are eating like pigs and seem to be doing well. I also have have more plants on the way for tomorrow, so if the tank seems a bit bare thats why.

Attachments

• C60F8989-9432-47CD-979A-92BCF807D3CD.jpeg
    C60F8989-9432-47CD-979A-92BCF807D3CD.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1279B951-D844-4F68-A0FB-30103260DC31.jpeg
    1279B951-D844-4F68-A0FB-30103260DC31.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 17
  • E5932DB3-0813-4B92-BBCF-74F38DCE5944.jpeg
    E5932DB3-0813-4B92-BBCF-74F38DCE5944.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 17

jinjerJOSH22

Hello and welcome to Fishlore.

These are two male Dwarf Gourami and I would not recommend keeping them together. The likelihood of one or both ending up dead is quite high, they typically don't tolerate each other very well. Keep in mind often fish sold are young and not fully mature and as they begin to mature problems become more apparent.
I'll post my article here: My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius - Aquarium Article If you want to read :)

bumblinBee

Looks to be two males to me. Also, as far as I know, dwarf gourami do not do well with other gourami, in a pair or otherwise. There are very few gourami that I would suggest can be kept together, maybe honey gourami or sparkling gourami, but dwarf gourami can be a little territorial - I personally wouldn't house them together.

jinjerJOSH22

There are very few gourami that I would suggest can be kept together,
This I disagree with. Most Gourami are actually quite social fish including WILD Dwarf Gourami. Domestic Dwarf Gourami much like Betta splendens are quite different from what should be considered normal for similar species.

Flameandneon

Hello and welcome to Fishlore.

These are two male Dwarf Gourami and I would not recommend keeping them together. The likelihood of one or both ending up dead is quite high, they typically don't tolerate each other very well. Keep in mind often fish sold are young and not fully mature and as they begin to mature problems become more apparent.
I'll post my article here: My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius - Aquarium Article If you want to read :)
This I disagree with. Most Gourami are actually quite social fish including WILD Dwarf Gourami. Domestic Dwarf Gourami much like Betta splendens are quite different from what should be considered normal for similar species.
Looks to be two males to me. Also, as far as I know, dwarf gourami do not do well with other gourami, in a pair or otherwise. There are very few gourami that I would suggest can be kept together, maybe honey gourami or sparkling gourami, but dwarf gourami can be a little territorial - I personally wouldn't house them together.
Ah ok, thank you for the advice. I can’t get another tank, for anytime soon really. I’ve been down there a lot since i’ve had them, checking on them. I’ve only seen any aggressive behavior displayed at feeding time. Most of the time they keep to their sides of the tank, and don’t bother each other. Occasionally i see them swimming side by side. They both seem pretty docile, the Neon is very curious and swims up when i walk up, while the Flame typically hides unless i have put food in the tank. I have a 20 gallon long for size reference

Flameandneon

So thinking about it a bit, i do have some eggcrate on the way for a lid for them. I have a 2 by 2 ft square on the way, and i could cut a bit for a divider. i have some of this as a divider for my axolotl upstairs, and the squares are large enough for zebra danios to slip through i believe. Would this work? I’m going on vacation in 2 weeks for 2 weeks, so this is the only solution i can think of at the time
So thinking about it a bit, i do have some eggcrate on the way for a lid for them. I have a 2 by 2 ft square on the way, and i could cut a bit for a divider. i have some of this as a divider for my axolotl upstairs, and the squares are large enough for zebra danios to slip through i believe. Would this work? I’m going on vacation in 2 weeks for 2 weeks, so this is the only solution atm

bumblinBee

You're right - I was thinking along the lines of paradise/kissing/giant gourami when I said that, which I've heard can be semi-aggressive as they mature, particularly males housed together. I don't know enough about gouramis as a whole to be making general statements like that, thanks for pointing this out!

ruud

Thank the lord!
I was about to separate all my chocolate gourami's in tiny blackwater tanks.

Flameandneon

updating a few days later, i don't really see any signs of aggression now. I spend a lot more time down there as i sit down there when they feed. I notice the flame (whose the bigger of the two) eats first and then after he leaves the neon will come up and eat. This is only when I feed repashy that they show this behavior. I just filled in the tank with plants and got a light, so let me know if you want pics!

bumblinBee

updating a few days later, i don't really see any signs of aggression now. I spend a lot more time down there as i sit down there when they feed. I notice the flame (whose the bigger of the two) eats first and then after he leaves the neon will come up and eat. This is only when I feed repashy that they show this behavior. I just filled in the tank with plants and got a light, so let me know if you want pics!
They may not be showing signs of aggression yet, but that's likely because they're both new to the environment. Once they've had time to settle in their new tank - that's when the aggression will start to pick up.

If it never becomes a problem, I'm very happy for you - you've lucked out! But it could be another month before these fish start to have issues with one another. I wouldn't reccommend keeping them together, but if you insist, keep a very close eye on them for the next month or two and prepare for the liklihood that one or the other will need to be re homed - just to be on the safe side.

Flameandneon

They may not be showing signs of aggression yet, but that's likely because they're both new to the environment. Once they've had time to settle in their new tank - that's when the aggression will start to pick up.

If it never becomes a problem, I'm very happy for you - you've lucked out! But it could be another month before these fish start to have issues with one another. I wouldn't reccommend keeping them together, but if you insist, keep a very close eye on them for the next month or two and prepare for the liklihood that one or the other will need to be re homed - just to be on the safe side.
That makes a lot of sense. I’m moving them 2 days from now to a tank upstairs, hopefully that will reset the countdown haha for a bit. I’m going on vacation for 2 weeks, i guess i could put a divider in between them but then only one of them would get a hide. I have some eggcrate arriving the first week of june before vacation. Sorry if im coming off as insistent, im
willing to do whatever makes them happiest even though im already attachwd to both of them

bumblinBee

That makes a lot of sense. I’m moving them 2 days from now to a tank upstairs, hopefully that will reset the countdown haha for a bit. I’m going on vacation for 2 weeks, i guess i could put a divider in between them but then only one of them would get a hide. I have some eggcrate arriving the first week of june before vacation. Sorry if im coming off as insistent, im
willing to do whatever makes them happiest even though im already attachwd to both of them
I think it would be best to separate them with the divider if you're going away, especially for weeks at a time. Only one of them having a hide is a much less risky situation than being trapped together with an aggressive tank mate.
I understand being attached to both of them, it's so easy to fall in love with these little fish. If that be the case, it may be worth getting one of them their own tank, or re homing one with a friend who can care for him so that at least you still get visitation rights haha

Flameandneon

I think it would be best to separate them with the divider if you're going away, especially for weeks at a time. Only one of them having a hide is a much less risky situation than being trapped together with an aggressive tank mate.
I understand being attached to both of them, it's so easy to fall in love with these little fish. If that be the case, it may be worth getting one of them their own tank, or re homing one with a friend who can care for him so that at least you still get visitation rights haha
Ok, i will do that. Hopefully the divider will come in time. I’ll keep watching for any aggressive behaviors as well. Do you know what they would look like among dwarf gourami? its hard to tell for me
sometimes between actual aggression and the fish trademarked just picking on each other.
Editing this after getting better pics, i believe the flame is female, at least according to this guide i found. i need an expert opinion though
959C985D-364A-4956-8FC7-B5C029B85E7C.jpeg
36AA5997-FC25-4E67-B526-6F75201A2088.jpeg
8796F223-415A-4967-B078-514F8D22A323.png

Rgtx

Brings back memories, those were my first 2 fish, just like you I had a red flame and still have the blue powder one. They are both males. Mine were fine for lil over 2 weeks til aggression started. The bigger red flame dg started to chase my blue DG and it got annoying for me. It didn't lead to any fin ripping but sometimes it was non stop chasing for long period of time. My red flame was an eating machine just like you mentioned. My tank is an 75g and still wasn't enough space for 2. They never bothered my zebra danios or cardinals tetras. Only saw aggresion towards other species and it was my Corydora which really PO'ed me once time during feeding. I think it's tough to try to make them work together in smaller aquariums from my own experience and others.

jinjerJOSH22

Ok, i will do that. Hopefully the divider will come in time. I’ll keep watching for any aggressive behaviors as well. Do you know what they would look like among dwarf gourami? its hard to tell for me
sometimes between actual aggression and the fish trademarked just picking on each other.
Editing this after getting better pics, i believe the flame is female, at least according to this guide i found. i need an expert opinion though
959C985D-364A-4956-8FC7-B5C029B85E7C.jpeg
36AA5997-FC25-4E67-B526-6F75201A2088.jpeg
8796F223-415A-4967-B078-514F8D22A323.png
The image isn't accurate. Shape wise is basically right but female dwarf Gourami are silver brown in colour and will be nothing like the male. Males can have rounded dorsals. The size of the dorsal is a factor, notice in the image the females doesn't reach the tailfin while the males does.
You 100% have 2 males I'm afraid.,

Flameandneon

The image isn't accurate. Shape wise is basically right but female dwarf Gourami are silver brown in colour and will be nothing like the male. Males can have rounded dorsals. The size of the dorsal is a factor, notice in the image the females doesn't reach the tailfin while the males does.
You 100% have 2 males I'm afraid.,
Haha, ok, my last attempt. Everythings going well so far- ill keep everyone updated if they want. I have a couple of (suspected) pregnant danios tho!

Flameandneon

Haha, ok, my last attempt. Everythings going well so far- ill keep everyone updated if they want. I have a couple of (suspected) pregnant danios tho!
so we got back from vacation super early this morning. we were gone for two weeks, both gouramis are doing well and have gotten bigger. Everyone seems happy, im seeing no aggressive behaviors. Maybe i got lucky! ill continue to watch though

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FlamegouramiJ
Replies
Views
Lefky
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aprilbeingbasic