Dwarf gourami fish hanging out behind filter

Handyzane101

Reaction score
I just got two dwarf gourami fish and put them in a 20 gallon tank. One of them went strait for the filter and has been hanging out behind for a little while. With my glofish this ment something was wrong but I don't know very much about caring for dwarf gouramis. Is this a problem.
Amonia-0
Nitite-0
nitrate-0
the other one is hanging out near the bottem of the tank behing my castle decoration

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Handyzane101 said:
I just got two dwarf gourami fish and put them in a 20 gallon tank. One of them went strait for the filter and has been hanging out behind for a little while. With my glofish this ment something was wrong but I don't know very much about caring for dwarf gouramis. Is this a problem.
Amonia-0
Nitite-0
nitrate-0
the other one is hanging out near the bottem of the tank behing my castle decoration
Well with dwarf guarami the males can get pretty territorial and almost all dwarf guarami sold. At LFS are males. In 20 gallons they are probably just hiding from eachother. I've always had better success with 1 or a trio if you find females.

Fish5234

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m a newbie but my best advice is to watch them and see how they behavior. I just purchased two honey gourmais myself today and one is all around the rank while the other is handing out by the heater. Give them some time to warm up and get used to their new environment as long as they aren’t aggressive

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Fish5234 said:
I’m a newbie but my best advice is to watch them and see how they behavior. I just purchased two honey gourmais myself today and one is all around the rank while the other is handing out by the heater. Give them some time to warm up and get used to their new environment as long as they aren’t aggressive
How big is the tank you put 2 honeys in?
The one running around is dominate while other is scared.

I'm not trying to get on a high horse just educate that unless heavily planted 20+ gallon tank 2 Male gourami usually won't be happiest together. Will they live probably.

But then it comes down to what you want vs what is best for fish.

Fish5234

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s a 20g but I did get one female and one male pair not two males. Was just trying to give the OP some advice and empathy. My two seem to be just getting used to the tank but as I said I’m keeping my eyes on them for any real problems. They’ve only been introduced into the tank a few hours ago

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Fish5234 said:
It’s a 20g but I did get one female and one male pair not two males. Was just trying to give the OP some advice and empathy. My two seem to be just getting used to the tank but as I said I’m keeping my eyes on them for any real problems. They’ve only been introduced into the tank a few hours ago
I definitely empathize I just dont want him confused if his gourami never seem to fully be happy.
I've made my share of mistakes and dumb moves in fish keeping. Lol

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Likely the fish just getting used to their new environment however like people have mentioned Dwarf Gourami get quite aggressive towards each other. I'd also suggest taking one back.

A note on Honey Gourami, males will often coexist together even in a relatively small tank without issues.

LochNessy

Reaction score
I am new also and have been thinking about a dwarf Gourami. What I have read is that they can be shy and don't like loud noise, especially sudden noises. My reading suggested having plants 3/4 of the way, at least, up the tank or a cave for one to hide in if he feels threatened. What really surprised me was that the different breeds of Gourami have different behaviors, and like "jinjerJOSH22" wrote, Honey Gouramis tend to be the more peaceful.

OP
H

Handyzane101

Reaction score
*UPDATE*
both male and female are behind my castle decoration near the bottem of the tank
DoubleDutch said:
I'd bring one back.

2 males will end up in a battle / 1 dead.

BTW : nitrates 0 often means a non-cycled tank
I will retest but the nitrates were high last week. Its been 3 months sense I got this tank. I got one male and one female

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Handyzane101 said:
*UPDATE*
both male and female are behind my castle decoration near the bottem of the tank

I will retest but the nitrates were high last week. Its been 3 months sense I got this tank. I got one male and one female
Do you have pictures of them?

OP
H

Handyzane101

Reaction score
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Do you have pictures of them?
oh sorry forgot to give a update. They are now both swimming around fine. It was probably just them getting used to the tank

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DoubleDutch said:
But we still wouod like some.pics
Definitely, we would like an image. I would return one. The 2 would fight until one is constantly miserable.

New Threads