Dwarf Gourami dying.. :'(

1. MindRiots Initiate Member

At the end of January we bought a 10 gallon tank with a dwarf gourami, a few cherry barbs, couple zebras, and 2 cory catfish. Everything has been awesome. We clean and do regular water changes. The last full clean was 3 weeks ago after there was quite a bit of algae build up. The algae is back full force and water is cloudy. My major concern is our gourami. He stopped being himself (swimming and eating like a pig) about 4 days ago. Yesterday he started just sitting at the top, gasping for air, not moving,dying.. We did a huge water change and separated him for awhile, but didn't seem to help. All the other fish are fine and acting normal. I got an ammonia tester that is reading "safe". pH is high (reading blue) so I did get a decreaser. I've heard mixed things about decreasers but I'm desperate. Does any one have suggestions? I'm so frustrated and I don't want to watch him die without trying. I've heard they can get viruses which might explain why the other fish are fine. We are getting water ready to do a full cleaning on the tank...
    Help? :(

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Ok, a 10 gallon is too small for all of these fish. The cherry barbs should be in a 20 gallon.

Regular water changes are weekly, not every 3 weeks. Most of us do 50% water changes weekly. This includes rinsing off filter media in used tank water and gravel vacs to remove detritus.

If you have a test kit that measures "safe", it's not a reliable test kit. You need to know actual numbers. If they are strips, toss them. They're worthless. We recommend an API master kit (liquid) for accurate readings. You need to know your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

DO NOT use anything in a bottle to adjust your pH. That will only mess up your tank.

What exactly do you mean when you say "full cleaning on the tank"?

3. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

what type of Tester are you using, strips are usless to most extent. A liquid test kit will provide proper readings, also anything other then 0ppm amonia, 0ppm nitrite is not safe, its deadly. DG are sensitive to water quality, something i suspect isnt right in your tank. For starters, i can already tell its over stocked. Cherry barbs need large schools and a 10gal wont support them, regardless of how many you have. Same for zebras and cory. Dg in a 10gal needs to be alone. As far as clean outs go, define a "full clean out".

A tank like that should be cycled, and then weekly 40% water changes should keep it clean. The algae was probably diatoms, they wont hurt your tank. Un fortuntatley when a Dwarf Gourami gets sick, it can get bad. First though we need to correct the tank.

For all the fish you have in there something around 25-29 gals should suffice. Cory need groups of 5 minimum, Zebra danio need 6 and cherries need 6. Regardless of how awesome or happy they look i can promise you, their not. I would eaither rehome the fish, upgrade them or return them. The dwarf will need a cycled tank to himself for now. What heater and filter are you using also.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore MindRiots!!

I hope your DG is feeling better soon.

5. MindRiots Initiate Member

Thank you for replying... I should clarify we do weekly water changes like you mentioned. The 3 weeks was in reference to the last time we took everything out and rinsed everything off, cleaned gravel, etc. We were advised to do that about every month. I guess that's what I mean by "full cleaning". I'll definitely go get a proper ammonia tester ASAP... We were worried the amount of fish was too much despite being told it would be "just fine". I assumed that since they were all doing ok that they'd be alright. Clearly not the case. Grr.. Think I'm going to put the gourami in a seperate tank as a last resort to see if he snaps out of it.

6. MindRiots Initiate Member

Your replies are so helpful - Thank You! I'm on my phone so replying is taking me a bit, but already you've provided me with more help than the local pet store. The ammonia test is just 1 that sticks to the tank..so i'll be getting liquid today. Unfortunately we dont have the funds for a bigger tank so i'll be finding new home for most of them it looks like. :(

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I know it sucks, ive been there most of us have , but your doing the right thing. Unfortunately rinsing the entire tank is counter productive to it. The 3-4 weeks in between allow the tank to start the nitrogen cycle, but the complete rinse kills it. That means there are probably ammonia, nitrite and ph spikes of the hook.

8. MindRiots Initiate Member

Oh, that explains a lot with the nitrogen cycle. Feel like I've been fed a lot of misinformation before this. Should have just came to this forum and got the real facts! Think I know someone who will take the barbs & zebras...at least until I can get a bigger tank. Sadly, I think my gourami is gone. Got him in a huge big bucket with perfect temp water and good pH and aerator (sp?) but he's not showing improvement. It's like he can't swim right. Sigh. We treat our animals like family so this is definitely rough.Hoping I'm at least making his last moments comfortable. Thanks again for all the info. I'll be coming to these forums from now on so I can get real hands on info.