Dwarf Gourami compatibility

1. soccermatt

soccermatt Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently cycling my tank without fish. Once it is around finished i was hoping to put in about 5 cherry barbs. Eventually i would also like to put in about 3 platies, and then eventually a dwarf gourami. I am not sure how compatible the DG would be with the others.
    Thanks

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +158
    depends on the size of the tank...sounds like a great combo but not in a 12g ..do you have other tanks?

3. OP
    OP
    soccermatt

soccermatt Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no but i did install a 20 gallon filter and am willing more maitnence.

4. Shawnie

Ratings:
    +158
    its not the maintenance as much as the aggression...gouramis are territorial and wouldnt be happy with the others in that size tank :(

5. OP
    OP
    soccermatt

soccermatt Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice, do you know of any other good fish that are happy to be alone, without others of their same kind, that would be kind of like a small 3-4 inch 'centerpeice fish' eventually.

6. Shawnie

Ratings:
    +158
    hmm in that size tank its kinda tough ..how about maybe some pygmy cories for the bottom?

7. OP
    OP
    soccermatt

soccermatt Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i heard dwarf pleco's like clown pleco's usually stay under 4 inches. Would they work?

8. Shawnie

Ratings:
    +158
    although small plecs dont take up the space, all plecs are too messy for that size tank :( even with extra maintenance, you would be doing 2-4 water changes a week in a 12g with a plec...poor guy everything you want isnt working is it ..im sorry !

9. DRock914

DRock914 Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've seen some nice rainbow fish at my LFS that they called dwarf rainbows but I am not sure of the real names. They only grow to about 2 - 2 1/2". You can try looking those up.

10. OP
    OP
    soccermatt

soccermatt Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

11. OP
    OP
    soccermatt

soccermatt Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    would cherry barbs nip at fancy guppy fins (even if the cherry barbs are in a school of 5)?

12. chrisfont23

chrisfont23 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had barbs with a few mollies and platys for a day before I returned them to the LFS. They chased and nipped at these fish w/o mercy.

13. Stone220

Stone220 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly but I wouldn't risk it. All Barbs are notorious fin nippers, I think the tail fins of the Guppy would be too much of a temptation to them.

14. rottie98

rottie98 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt put barbs with the DG , I actually today took 2 of my barbs to LFS he kept nipping at the tails of my DG and my pleco which is about 20x bigger then him and i lost a couple other fish in the past cause of the tail nipping.

15. david276

david276 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When i was a kid with my ten g im using now i had some barbs but they were biting the heck out my betta, poor guy ended up dying. .. so i put them in my grandpas 200 gal chiclid tank thinking they needed to be with more aggressive fish...needless to the say the oscars made short work of them. and i witnessed a jack dempsy eat one like literally 5 minutes after i put them in.. he saw it accelerated and boom. that was it.

Ever since then this year i really didnt want the barbs they seems like annoying mean fish . Ive seen amano tanks with them in large schools and they look cool though.

Maybe just get one dg and see . try really hard to find a female i got owned by an lfs this week i was supposed to be getting a dwarf female and a dwarf male for my ten g to go with a few otos... and turns out i got a (still think female but its mean ,dorsal is rounded) female full grown dg and a male threespot!!

Female sort of chases him off now but i worry that in a few months she is done for! And its past my due date for returning them... Hopefully he can hold off until i get a larger tank for . discus tank later in the summer.

16. 1hawaii50

1hawaii50 Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you're still looking, look into the Praecox Rainbow (dwarf neon rainbow). They are beautiful fish. When the light hits them right, their scales take on a brilliant blue hue.