Dwarf gourami compatibility

Poseidontheaxolotl

Hey everyone,

so I am thinking about redoing my 20 gallon, which currently has 3 Kuhli Loaches, 2 guppies, a spiny eel, 1 gold gourami, 2 nerite snails and 1 glass catfish. I am going to re-home the gold Gourami as she is very territorial and won't let in new fish, and I'm also going to re-home the glass catfish its cruel to keep one by itself, but all his other friends passed away ):

Anyway, here are the fish I was planning to add. Since re-homing the gourami and catfish will free up a bit of space in the tank, I think I am going to add 4 new guppies and a dwarf gourami. My final tank will have a spiny eel, 3 Kuhli Loaches, 2 snails, 6 guppies and a dwarf gourami. Are these fish compatible with each other, or do you think the tank is too overstocked? I am definitely going to keep the eel and loaches but if anyone has any other fish recommendations to add or if I should add fewer fish that would be great!

Thanks!

Ghelfaire

What size is your spiny eel? From what I understand they will eat smaller fish like guppies as adults.

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

I think with your current stock you should just get 3 more kuhlis, they’re very social and appreciate proper groups. If you can, try to rehome the spiny eel, they will get quite big for the tank as an adult.

Unless you have means to rehome the DG I wouldn’t do it. Although they usually work out in community settings, it’s personality dependent, and with guppies being so colorful it’s a bit risky. Also your tank is a bit on the heavy side for stocking

Upvote 0

Poseidontheaxolotl

What size is your spiny eel? From what I understand they will eat smaller fish like guppies as adults.
My eel is maybe about 5 ½ to 6 inches, so nearing his full size. However I have never ever seen him show any interest in the guppies as he is usually buried underneath the gravel and he is very shy. They are all also way too big for him to try and get and I haven't had any baby guppies before either.

Upvote 0

Poseidontheaxolotl

I think with your current stock you should just get 3 more kuhlis, they’re very social and appreciate proper groups. If you can, try to rehome the spiny eel, they will get quite big for the tank as an adult.

Unless you have means to rehome the DG I wouldn’t do it. Although they usually work out in community settings, it’s personality dependent, and with guppies being so colorful it’s a bit risky. Also your tank is a bit on the heavy side for stocking
Do you mean re-home the gold gourami? She has always been a bit of a bully and steals everyones food as well, so the eel doesn't get as much food as he should, that's why I was considering re-homing her.

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Do you mean re-home the gold gourami? She has always been a bit of a bully and steals everyones food as well, so the eel doesn't get as much food as he should, that's why I was considering re-homing her.
I mean the dwarf gourami. They can be aggressive.

Definitely rehome the gold gourami, they get quite large for a 20g

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

They're saying have a backup plan for the dwarf gourami just in case it doesn't work.
I still dont trust the whole spiny eel thing, dont they need to be in a 30g?

Upvote 0

Poseidontheaxolotl

They're saying have a backup plan for the dwarf gourami just in case it doesn't work.
I still dont trust the whole spiny eel thing, dont they need to be in a 30g?
My sister has a sick betta in a 10 gallon that I could maybe use if the betta doesn't make it in case something goes wrong with the dwarf gourami. I would then think of a long term solution for him/her. Spiny eels usually get around 5.9 inches maybe a little bigger. Mine is almost if not at 6 inches, so I don't think he is going to grow anymore. I totally get where your coming from though, I understand that they become bigger, however the store owner I bought him from who had over 20 years of experience said that the eel should be okay in a 20. I have a barred spiny eel which is a little smaller than other species of spiny eel.

Upvote 0

Poseidontheaxolotl

I mean the dwarf gourami. They can be aggressive.

Definitely rehome the gold gourami, they get quite large for a 20g
If I was to go through with this plan, I would get the guppies first and make sure they are all settled in before I introduce another new fish. Also when I introduce the new Gourami I would make sure it would be the last fish I would buy, so when I first put it into the tank it realizes its the newbie and the tank isn't its territory as there are already other fish in it.

I made that mistake with my gold gourami, she had already claimed the tank as her territory, so she wouldn't let new comers in. She didn't bother the original guppies (very first fish in the tank) because they were already there. Thats why I wanted the gourami to be put in last and after the guppies. I have also heard people recommend buying a gourami that is in a tank with other Gouramis, as they are more likely to be more compatible in a community tank rather than a gourami who is being sold alone.

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

My sister has a sick betta in a 10 gallon that I could maybe use if the betta doesn't make it in case something goes wrong with the dwarf gourami. I would then think of a long term solution for him/her. Spiny eels usually get around 5.9 inches maybe a little bigger. Mine is almost if not at 6 inches, so I don't think he is going to grow anymore. I totally get where your coming from though, I understand that they become bigger, however the store owner I bought him from who had over 20 years of experience said that the eel should be okay in a 20. I have a barred spiny eel which is a little smaller than other species of spiny eel.
What’s the betta sick with and what are the parameters? Maybe the forum can help her out.

Also a 10g, even for just a DG is small, they’re very active fish.

I think you should just up your kuhlis to 6 and call it a day, with the spiny eel, kuhlis, and guppies in only a 20g that’s overstocked, but you can manage if you heavily plant, up WCs, and try to rehome the eel, if possible

Upvote 0

Poseidontheaxolotl

What’s the betta sick with and what are the parameters? Maybe the forum can help her out.

Also a 10g, even for just a DG is small, they’re very active fish.

I think you should just up your kuhlis to 6 and call it a day, with the spiny eel, kuhlis, and guppies in only a 20g that’s overstocked, but you can manage if you heavily plant, up WCs, and try to rehome the eel, if possible
My sisters betta has been sick for maybe a month now. We honestly don't know what's wrong. I think she has posted on here asking about it, but I don't know if she got a good response. He just seems to have lost interest in swimming and is always lying down on his side. He may have some sort of spine damage as some of his scales are a bit ripped at the top of his back.

I had a feeling that the 10g may be too small. Thank you for your advice about upping the kuhlis to 6 and adding more plants.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fiercebettas
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
EnderKing