Dwarf Gourami Compatibility

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Hill Dweller, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Hill Dweller

Hill Dweller Well Known Member Member

Hi there!

We had to return our red Betta fish as his attacks on the mystery snail continued and I had nowhere else to put him. I felt terribly guilty and I miss him. I nearly started multiple tank syndrome yesterday to buy him back, but he was already off to a new home (probably just as well!).

Miss 3 understood why it wasn't nice for the snail and was pretty excited to come home with lots of little fish instead in the form of 10 ember tetras.

Once they settle in and we watch the water parameters for a bit, she would like "a blue fish". We were thinking a dwarf Gourami might work well in our 10 gallon along with the 10 embers and 1 mystery snail.

I just don't want to risk another chance of having to return her pet fish! Does anyone have anything to caution about this stocking?

I've also read about a virus Gouramis are prone to. Is there anything telltale I can avoid when looking at them in the store?

Appreciate any tips (or alternative "blue fish" suggestions!)

Thanks team!

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    I'm sorry you had to re home your betta.

The dwarf gourami is a good fish for a small community tank however, I would only keep one in a 20 gallon.
    But if you don't add anything else I think you could get away with 1 Dwarf Gourami.

If you quarintine your Dwarf Gourami probably and treat and diseases, your DG should do fine.

Your stocking would look something like this:
    1x Dwarf Gourami
    10x Ember Tetras
    1x Mystery Snail

Keep the tempreture Below 80 degrees and above 72 degrees and you should be fine. PH level should be around
    6.0-7.0.
    Anyone is welcome to question me or correct me.

3. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

Thank you for the tips. Yes definitely only want one DG, I read two will fight, especially in a small 10 gallon set up. :)

4. Ed204

Correct, two Dwarf Gouramis would most likely fight in a 10 gallon, especially if they are both males.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

A dwarf gourami would need 20 Gallons

You could get a blue guppy and some blue velvet shrimp though

6. Ed204

True, but don't you think that one will be fine?

7. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

Argh, you are right, I think I must have got them confused in my mind with stocking lists mentioning sparkling gouramis.

A blue guppy could work. Nice suggestion! I can keep multiple males without any fighting, right? I don't want to add females and worry about fry :-o

8. Caleb652

Caleb652 New Member Member

2 dwarf gouramis is a little bit too much along with 10 red embers in a 10 gallon. I would either move some tetras to another tank or only do one dwarf gourami. My 10 gallon has 2 dwarf gouramis and a cory catfish

9. BottomDweller

Some people have had problems with multiple male guppies but mine have always been fine. If you're worried about it you could just have one.
    I don't think anyone suggested 2 DGs. Most DGs sold are males so 2 male DGs wouldn't be a good idea even if the tank was bigger. Cories would need a 20 gallon and groups of 6+

10. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed with BottomDweller

11. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

Thanks for the blue guppy suggestion @BottomDweller the guppies of my "youth" were pretty cheap and cheerful but nothing I would have wanted to keep again. I had no idea they could be so amazing now. I picked up a cracker today that the small person is entranced with :)

Attached Files:

12. BottomDweller

He's beautiful! Glad the small person is pleased :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice