Dwarf Gourami Compatability

1. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Question from Mandy via email:
    I put one in with 3 balloon mollies and it picks on one of them, did I make the wrong decision about mixing the two?

We've not heard of dwarf gouramis being aggressive towards other fish. We have heard of Gold Gouramis being aggressive toward their tank mates. There are many things that could be involved in this situation. Is the tank big enough for all of the inhabitants? If not, it could be that the Gourami is being cramped and causing it to be aggressive. Many fish will become aggressive if not given enough space.

There are a few things you can try. The first option is to get another dwarf gourami (if you have enough space). Another dwarf may create a diversion for the dwarf you already have. The second option would be to return the dwarf to your local pet store if their aggressiveness continues.

Hope this info helps!

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Question from grymckee:

Will this fish be compatible with frontosa. I have six frontosa that are three inches in length and I'm looking for suitable tank mates for them.

The dwarf gourami and the frontosa might be able to do well together now, but not when the frontosas reach their full adult size of up to 14 inches. The dwarf gouramis will only reach about 3 inches fully grown and they would probably make a pretty good snack for your frontosas.

3. Susie Initiate Member

I have a Dwarf Powder Blue Gourami. He sometimes gets territorial, but he's getting along with my glowlight tetras.