dwarf gourami capatiblity

keynen

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon that is well planted and is stocked with 6 zebra danios, a flying fox and 3 otos.  I was just wondering if a pair (1 male and 1 female) would be compatible with the fish in my tank and if it would be a suitable breeding tank.  If anybody has any advice on these topic it would be greatly appreciated.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your tank is pretty much full. You don't want to overstock, especially a 10 gallon. Your tank sounds beautiful just the way it is. We'd love to see a picture of it! ;D

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with Gunnie. Adding the gourami pair would be too much.

Keep an eye on your flying fox, also. They have a reputation for becoming very nasty fellas.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If they are the dwarf gouramis that grow very small, maybe. And if you want that to be a breeding tank, make sure they're alone in there. But ... I personally would not put anything bigger than small tetras like neons or other small fishes like zebra danios, in a 10 gallon tank. I wouldn't even put zebra danios in a 10 gallon tank because of how fast they swim. They need lots of space to accommodate their speed as well as for comfortable maneuvering (and they maneuver a lot!).

P.S. I don't know anything about breeding gouramis, but if they eat their eggs, you'll need another tank to put them in once they laid the eggs (if you want the eggs to survive). If they raise their young, however, then disregard my comment.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
A 10g is sufficient for a pair, if its a m/f pair and if they are the only residents. Not if its a m/m pair (and females are somewhat difficult to find). They don't require loads of swimming space and aren't huge poop machines. I wouldn't add anything else except maybe a couple of otos.

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree. I have found even a 29 gallon is too small for 2 males together as they can be quite territorial. A male/female together in a10 would be okay!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom