Dwarf Gourami Bubble Nest?

Anniestells
When I first purchased my Dwarf Gourami and inducted him into my tank, he frequently blew bubbles, turning them into small floats in the corners of my tank. He hasn’t done this for several months, and suddenly he has built a massive nest and sits beneath it, flared, or patrols the tank. None of my cherry barbs are allowed to go into that corner, or else he nips at them. Why is he suddenly so protective of this nest? Why is it so big? Is this typical behaviour? What if it is broken up during water changes or by my filter?Anything I should do?

I included some photos- the water is stained from tannins (I prefer the black water look, and it keeps my pH down a bit so win win )

image.jpg
image.jpg

Advertisement
aquaticamanda
This is very normal for any male gouramis during breeding season. They will make bubble nest with or without a female present. Just like betta fish do , they are a type of gourami as well ! Its just in their nature to be protective and be ready for breeding, if anything dont disturb/remove it or it may stress him out.

Advertisement
Anniestells
This is very normal for any male gouramis during breeding season. They will make bubble nest with or without a female present. Just like betta fish do , they are a type of gourami as well ! Its just in their nature to be protective and be ready for breeding, if anything dont disturb/remove it or it may stress him out.
Alright cool! Would my guy be better off/happier if I got him a girlfriend? Id potentially breed them, perhaps sell them back to the store?

FinalFins
Alright cool! Would my guy be better off/happier if I got him a girlfriend? Id potentially breed them, perhaps sell them back to the store?
If you want to breed them you are going to need alot of time and dedication to the fry. Also another tank will be needed, along with an infusoria culture and some live food.

Females are also very rare in the US and certain parts of the world.

Anniestells
If you want to breed them you are going to need alot of time and dedication to the fry. Also another tank will be needed, along with an infusoria culture and some live food.

Females are also very rare in the US and certain parts of the world.
I do have another tank and experience raising fry (guppies and mollies) so perhaps I could manage? I’ll check if my LFS carries females / though I’ve heard it’s common that a lightly coloured male to be mistaken for female/

FinalFins
Livebearer fry care is vastly different from gourami.. they are super tiny and need microscopic foods. Other than that go ahead.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Livebearer08
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies
Views
cardcrimson