Dwarf Gourami bubble nest!!

1. Chuck Wheat

Chuck Wheat Valued Member Member

Went to start a water change today and when I lifted the top there is a huge bubble nest floating around some plants. The dwarf gourami that made it has been lurking around and under it since I noticed it. He is alone with no females, so there isn't any chance of babies.

My questions are should I go ahead and do my scheduled water change? Should I be careful not to destroy it or will he rebuild it if he feels like it? Will it stress him if it gets destroyed? And does it being there mean that he feels safe and healthy, or will they do it eventually wherever they are and how they feel?

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I can only answer one, and that is,
    Building the bubble nest means he feels safe, healthy, and happy, ready to mate.

3. OP
    OP
    Chuck Wheat

Chuck Wheat Valued Member Member

Thats what I thought, but I proceeded with the water change anyway. The tank needed it pretty bad. I destroyed the bubble nest in the process of moving things around to clean, but there was a hidden surprise.

I added 9 ghost shrimp to an un-cycled tank and over the next couple weeks most all of them died. The last one kicked it a week or two ago, but apparently one of the last ones had laid eggs. I'm assuming all of the little ones got eaten by the DG or maybe some of the eggs got ate up by the cleaning crew. But while I was rearranging things a single little ghost shrimp came crawling by. It was pretty cool to see.