Dwarf gourami bloating

1. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I have a flame dwarf gourami and for a week or so he has been all bloated up. Idk why. I feed my fish twice a day. Morning and night. He hasnt been eating and I am worried I dont want to loose him. He just hangs out at the surface in a corner or just in the back. He swims normally he can go up and down. He is not tilted to a side. He can swim but he rarely does. Help

2. AtomicMudkip Member Member

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you attach a pic?

What are you feeding and how much do you feed?

4. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Thank you :) but theres 1 problem....I tried feeding him a pea (no shell) and he wont eat it. All the other fish do but not him.....he poops but its not brown and thick like usual. Its a long stringy thin white

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

White stringy poop is often a sign of parasites, but as to which kind, it's impossible to say.

Do you have a QT tank you can put him in? I'd start by fasting and treating with PraziPro.

Do you have floating cover for him?

6. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Here is a picture of him. Its kinda hard to get a good pic sorry :'( I feed them flake food and maybe throw in a few shrimp pellets for the corys but the fish eat them too.

Attached Files:

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

He's extremely bloated. Do you have a QT tank?

8. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I had to redue the whole tank because it was full of hitchhikers etc it was bad lets just say that. The QT tank is only 1/4 full and has no filter just plants. I will get water in and get the filter back on it again. The media is still moist so hopefully the bacteria survived so it can cycle quick.

9. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Ok set up the QT and now its running again! :) I have some plants in there that I want to grow im guessing thats fine if he is in there with the plants? What is causing him to be bloated??

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I'd eurhanise it. Sorry !

11. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

:'( I might have to.......hes not doing so good.....is there anything I can do?

12. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I doubt it in this stage

13. Maxi1 Member Member

Better to euthanize it. I think what happens is it gets so sick and heavy it can no longer swim to the top to breathe and eventually it essentially drowns at the bottom of the tank.

14. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Oh....its been doing that were it is staying at the surface......ok...I think ill do that tonight :'( its so sad cause ive had him since he was only 1 inch long...

15. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Very sad !!

16. Maxi1 Member Member

I'm very sorry, been there myself.

17. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Bad news......I came home and found him dead.....I almost started crying. He was so sweet too!!! He knew he was gonna die soon....ugh im so sad :'(

18. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry !