Dwarf Gourami Behavior

tristanf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a neon blue DG in a 20 gallon with 5 bloodfin tetra, 1 molly, 8 harlequin rasbora, and 1 guppy. I’ve had the DG for about 2 months now, and he never does anything. He just swims in the same spot and hardly ever swims side to side, up and down, etc. When I feed, he has always passively let the other fish eat and then ate what was left. He seems to avoid the other fish and stay to himself. My tank is cycled, and, even though I had a random ammonia spike a week ago, he was acting the same when all parameters were zeroed out. Do they always act unsocial and disinterested in everything?

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am no expert on tetras or rasboras, but I do believe that bloodfin tetras need to be kept in a school of 6+, and the tank might be overcrowded (again, I would get that checked) My DG used to swim around often and come to the surface for food. Could you give the water parameters before and after the water changes?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tristanf said:
I have a neon blue DG in a 20 gallon with 5 bloodfin tetra, 1 molly, 8 harlequin rasbora, and 1 guppy. I’ve had the DG for about 2 months now, and he never does anything. He just swims in the same spot and hardly ever swims side to side, up and down, etc. When I feed, he has always passively let the other fish eat and then ate what was left. He seems to avoid the other fish and stay to himself. My tank is cycled, and, even though I had a random ammonia spike a week ago, he was acting the same when all parameters were zeroed out. Do they always act unsocial and disinterested in everything?
Mine have always had a lot of personality, not always forthcoming or outgoing, sometimes they’ll just hide, but they often show character.

The one thing I’ve experienced as well as others is they don’t seem to mesh well with Mollies. It may or may not be a factor.

Could you post pictures? What temperature is the tank at? :)

Edit: they’re not likely to interact with other fish, other than maybe aggression or just checking them out. That part is completely normal.

OP
T

tristanf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gel0city said:
I am no expert on tetras or rasboras, but I do believe that bloodfin tetras need to be kept in a school of 6+, and the tank might be overcrowded (again, I would get that checked) My DG used to swim around often and come to the surface for food. Could you give the water parameters before and after the water changes?
I had 8 rasboras, the guppy, the molly, and the DG before getting the 5 bloodfin tetras. Before the tetras, the ammonia and everything was zeroed out. After the tetras, the ammonia spiked and was at 1.0 ppm for a week, and then I did a 75% water change a week ago, and I checked it today and ammonia is back down to 0.25 ppm.

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Mine have always had a lot of personality, not always forthcoming or outgoing, sometimes they’ll just hide, but they often show character.

The one thing I’ve experienced as well as others is they don’t seem to mesh well with Mollies. It may or may not be a factor.

Edit: they’re not likely to interact with other fish, other than maybe aggression or just checking them out. That part is completely normal.
The temp is at 78. The PH is 6.6.

jinjerJOSH22 said:

Attachments

OP
T

tristanf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Well that part is fine :)

What do you feed him and how often?
I feed them tetra tropical flakes once a day. He never comes to the surface and only eats what the rest of them leave that falls toward the bottom. Unfortunately, it usually isn’t much and I’m afraid he doesn’t get enough to eat. I wish he would go to the surface so he got enough food.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tristanf said:
I feed them tetra tropical flakes once a day. He never comes to the surface and only eats what the rest of them leave that falls toward the bottom. Unfortunately, it usually isn’t much and I’m afraid he doesn’t get enough to eat. I wish he would go to the surface so he got enough food.
Maybe try feeding a couple pellets, they’ll sink faster or dip the flake beneath the water so it sinks straight away. Might be a good idea to get some frozen food to mix things up a bit. I like to feed mine Bloodworms, Daphnia and Black Mosquito larvae every so often.

OP
T

tristanf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Maybe try feeding a couple pellets, they’ll sink faster or dip the flake beneath the water so it sinks straight away. Might be a good idea to get some frozen food to mix things up a bit. I like to feed mine Bloodworms, Daphnia and Black Mosquito larvae every so often.
Do fish get tired of eating the same food?

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
tristanf said:
If the DG is fairly new to the tank, he probably will hide and not eat for a few days. 1ppm to 0.25ppm is a good change, just make sure it gets to 0ppm and always add dechlorinated water (water should be stable, no ph changes)

New Threads